MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

ATO BAS REFUNDS

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced User Debbiesap
61 Posts
Experienced User
Debbiesap
Experienced User

61Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

ATO BAS REFUNDS

How do I record GST refunds from the ATO and which tax codes would I use.

I have currently recorded as per the below screeen shot:

However, when I run the company auditor report the following message is shown:

I am assuming that this is ok but would appreciate confirmation. Additiinally does it have any bearing when doing my BAS recon against the GL tax collect/paid accounts

We report on a quarterly cash basis.
Thank you
ato refund.JPG
3 REPLIES
Ultimate Partner DuncanS
1,542 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
DuncanS
Ultimate Partner

1542Posts

1265Kudos

142Solutions

Re: ATO BAS REFUNDS

@Debbiesap

When I prepare a April - June BAS, I create a ledger called BAS April - June xx.

Many Tax Accountants/BAS Agents/Business Owners.do not undertake this step.

If it were me, I would do a Journal for the Components on the April - June BAS to a ledger called BAS April - June xx. As the BAS has a refund, it would appear as a Current Asset.

The Tax Codes for Components of a BAS are N-T.

It is important to reconcile the GST Reports and Payroll Reports to the Balance Sheet every time a BAS/IAS is prepared. Have a look on the Forum for my GST Checklist.

Let me know how you go.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E expressgst@optusnet.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days
Ultimate Partner GDay53
1,075 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
GDay53
Ultimate Partner

1075Posts

1128Kudos

242Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

@Debbiesap

I do something similar to @DuncanS.

As a BAS Agent i have acces to my clients ATO Integrated Client Account which tells us exactly how much they owe to the tax office at any one time. I treat this the same as a Bank / Creit Card account.

I create a Liability Account immediately after the GST Collected and GST Paid accounts in the Liability section of the Chart of Accountsand call it the ATO ICA account and make it a Credit Card type.

When it is BAS / IAS time I create a Journal entry to move the GST Collected / Paid, the PAYG, The PAYGI, Fuel tax Credits and anything elese that has to be included, into the ATO ICA. GST Collected is always a Debit and GST Paid is always a Credit. The last line entry for the Journal is to the ATO ICA and the amount should balance the Journal and if you owe the Tax office it will be a Credit or if you are getting a refund it should be a Debit.

When it is time to actually pay the ATO or receive the refund you simply do a Spend or Receive Money from the Bank account to the ATO ICA account.

I also download a statement from the BAS Agents portal and reconcile the ATO ICA account like any other bank/credit card account.

Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
Ultimate Partner DuncanS
1,542 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
DuncanS
Ultimate Partner

1542Posts

1265Kudos

142Solutions

@Debbiesap @GDay53

Gavin gave you a good explanation.

I come across business owners accounting software where the GST Liability Accounts have not been reconciled in MYOB for many years - some since GST started in July 2000.

From a review perspective, I believe it is important to reflect the BAS April - June as a separate account name to the ATO ICA.

To my knowledge and, I wonder why, the Standards Board or industry bodies have not given guidance on this.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E expressgst@optusnet.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post