Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Allocating invoices numbers from quotes

When a job is completed from quote, I select convert to invoice. The invoice is supposed to be the next available invoicenumber. 

The problem I am having is that the invoice number is the same as the quote number and the details such as the date due etc are the same as on the quote. My quotes last for 60 days and they invoice states the invoice is now payablein 60 days. I have to check every detail on the invoice and keep referring to the next invoice number that should be allocated. 

Previously I could have an email for invoices and qutoes emailed to me every time by default. Now I have to remember to tick the box every time. It is really annoying as I am so used to the old system. This upgrade has lots of glitches and is making life very hard. We are only a small business, I can onlyimagine how larger businesses are coping. 

7 REPLIES 7
Greenheart
Trusted Cover User
38 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Trusted Cover User

38Posts

75Kudos

2Solutions

Re: Allocating invoices numbers from quotes

Well said Denise

All the little glitches add up to one large headache

denise07051951
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Re: MYOB Essentials upgrade issues

Sorry but I would not use the term upgrade. 

Downgrade for sure. 

So much time spent correcting things. I can never get the invoice number or quote numbers to run in sequence. Every time I convert a quote to an invoice it issues the next quote number instead of the next invoice number and gives the date due for payment as the date the quote was sent. This can be 2 months ago. Very confusing for me, more confusing for my customers. When I create an invoice it allocates the last quote number as the invoice number. I have to check everything every time. 

Items that I used to be able to organise in settings are gone and you have to remember to tick every box every time. So much double entry. All my layouts for invoices and quotes have been changed. I spent a lot of time setting them up exactly how I wanted them and don't see why I have to go and do it all again. I never asked for these changes, I was very happy with the way things were. When I now email a quote it reads,  "Hi, your quote is ready." How unprofessional. 

My payroll suddenly converted to electronic Payments. I had never used electronic payments and had no idea what was going on. After an hour on hold getting through we finally sorted it. Things worked fine for a couple of weeks and when I went to reconcile this month 2 of my pay weeks had gone to electronic payments again, the others had not. Go figure, must be an upgrade gremlin in my computer. Must say I did learn about electronic payments though. Mainly how to fix mistakes. 

Changes were made that will never need to use. If I wanted something fancy with all the bells and whistles I would use Account Right. 

Maybe we could be given the option to either revert back to the original Essentials and give the Upgrade a new name and those that prefer the upgrade can use it. Don't think you will get too many takers.  

Survey your customers. MYOB shouldn't  need to ask customers to help fix their system. Customers are all asking the same questions. The problems should be obvious. 

I used to recommend Essentials, not so now. Very disappointed. 

Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
43,327 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

43,327Posts

5,857Kudos

6,474Solutions

Hi @denise07051951 

Thank you for the additional feedback on the newer MYOB Essentials, feedback like this is all shared with our product teams to work on delivering a more improved platform.

I did want to address some of your points in your post. 

• Currently, quote conversion is a direct copy of the invoice with the exception of certain aspects. The quote number is replaced with the invoice number and it will take the next one in the sequence. For example, if I record a quote with the number 0000078 then an invoice with invoice number 0000078. Should I go back and convert that quote it would use 0000080 as the invoice number for that invoice. The reason is that the original number i.e. the quote is retained in the system with the status of Invoiced, so that uses can track what has been invoiced from their quotes.
  • We have moved across to a newer template style for invoices. While it is a change, and I can certainly appreciate those users that do have set templates, overall this change allows us to achieve bigger and more flexibility in the future. Currently, the template structure does have similar functions as the Original, although those templates do need to be set up once the business has been migrated across.

• You also brought up the wording in quote emails. This can be changed via the Business Name Menu>>Sale settings>>Email defaults>>Default quote email. You can also change the Default invoice email or Default statement email - Statement wording being an updated feature.

• Employees do have a variety of payment methods listed on their cards now. These can be reviewed via Payroll>>Employees>>Selecting the employee>>Payment Details. If you do have electronic selected for an employee this would likely indicate that the payroll transaction will be sent to the electronic clearing account i.e. the Prepare electronic payments window after processing. This allows you to combine the amounts paid to employees and generate an ABA file so you can pay those employees through your Internet Banking. Should you not wish to use electronic payments, which is your choice, I would ensure that the payment method listed on your employees' records is Cheque or Cash.

Once again, thanks for your feedback on the newer MYOB Essentials product. We are in the process of collating feedback and making changes to the platform so that users get the best of both worlds. The simplicity of features and workflows from the Original platform while also allowing flexibility and more advanced features that the newer does offer.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

denise07051951
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Your explanation of the quote conversion made it even more complicated. I want my invoices to run in numerical order. I am wondering whether you people are accountants or IT people setting all of this up. From you explanation where did invoice 0000078 go. 

I understand that I can change my templates, but I don't want to. I do not need more features or flexibility. 

In regards to my issue with electronic payments, my option for payroll has always been cash, never changed a thing. MYOB Essentials did all of that on it's own for two weeks, and then miraculously stopped electronic payments and wentback to cash. 

To me Essentials was great for a small business. Everything I needed. I hear from other users who have bigger concerns that they are having terrible issues. I can only imagine. The dashboard is rubbish, you have to go looking for everything within the system whereas before it was all there. 

I can only wonder what the new and advanced featues will be. 

Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
43,327 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

43,327Posts

5,857Kudos

6,474Solutions

Hi @denise07051951 

Just to expand upon my previous example relating to invoice and quote numbers. I referenced a quote that had the quote number 00000078, this was converted to an invoice. As I had recorded an invoice (invoice number 00000079) in between, the converted quote, now an invoice, had invoice number 00000080 on it. The 00000078 is still around in the system would be seen in the Sales>>Quotes window with the status of "Invoiced". 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

MELC1
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

I totally agree that this upgrade is ridiculously hard for sole traders and small businesses. When creating a quote the old essentials would automatically allocate the next quote number. Now it allocates the next invoice number and if it's never converted to an invoice, there are gaps in the invoice numbers. Quote numbers should be separate from the invoice numbers. I've got trades people pulling their hair out trying to work out the new format for invoicing. Obviously whoever put these changes together has no concept of what trades people need. 

denise07051951
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks, MELC1 for your support. 

My accountant does not like missing invoice numbers. I believe that ATO also doesn't like it.  I have to go in and alter all the number myself. It is a pain. The explanation given to me on the forum did not make sense. Confused me even more. Call me OCD, I like things running in simple numerical order. 

I also have to remember every time to tick the box to email me a copy. There should be an option in settings. It used to do it automatically. If you don't need a copy in your email, it is easy to delete. Much harder to get a copy!!

I make invoices payable in 14 days. When producing a quote, I have to alter the date the quote expires as it gives 14 days like the invoice. There is nowhere in settings to change this. 

Very poor design, worked perfectly for me before, a pain now

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post