Business Expenses Paid For By Personal Funds

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Business Expenses Paid For By Personal Funds

Hi all

We are a small start-up business (limited company shareholder-employee married couple arrangement in New Zealand) so we've got some business expenses that have been paid for from our personal funds using our private cheque account or credit card.  

Could someone please provide a step-by-step guide on how to account for these in MYOB Essentials so they are linked to the business?

Thanks very much in advance,

Robert

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Ultimate Partner
1,941 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,941Posts

1,699Kudos

233Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Business Expenses Paid For By Personal Funds

Dear @Chappie

Firstly you need to set up a G/L Account Code called Loan - Business Owner with the type being a credit card. By making the type a credit card it will allow you to post spend money/or purchase payments for your purchases where you have used personal bank accounts or credit cards.

If I have given you the soluition please kindly mark my post as a solution please to assist others who may have a similar query in the future.  

See below screen shot examples of how to do this:

Step 1 - Create G/L Account

Step 1.jpg

Step 2.jpg

Step 2 - Enter Spend Money

Step 4.jpg

Step 3.jpg

Step 3 - You can also enter your purchases via the purchase menu (rather than spend money) and just select the from Account to be Loan - Business Owner.  Personally I use the purchase menu where possible for larger bills or supplier bills as it allows you to track movement better than spend money. 

Step 5.jpg

Warm regards

Renae

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
https://twopeas.com.au/covid-19-resources/
Highlighted
Experienced Cover User
15 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Experienced Cover User

15Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you so much Renae for your helpful answer. Smiley Happy

I will have more queries on other topics over the coming weeks and months; looking forward to hearing from you hopefully.

Regards, Robert

@Cloud_Mind wrote:

Dear @Chappie

Firstly you need to set up a G/L Account Code called Loan - Business Owner with the type being a credit card. By making the type a credit card it will allow you to post spend money/or purchase payments for your purchases where you have used personal bank accounts or credit cards.

If I have given you the soluition please kindly mark my post as a solution please to assist others who may have a similar query in the future.  

See below screen shot examples of how to do this:

Step 1 - Create G/L Account

Step 1.jpg

Step 2.jpg

Step 2 - Enter Spend Money

Step 4.jpg

Step 3.jpg

Step 3 - You can also enter your purchases via the purchase menu (rather than spend money) and just select the from Account to be Loan - Business Owner.  Personally I use the purchase menu where possible for larger bills or supplier bills as it allows you to track movement better than spend money. 

Step 5.jpg

Warm regards

Renae

Best regards, Robert

Highlighted
Ultimate Partner
1,941 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,941Posts

1,699Kudos

233Solutions

Hi Chappie

Happy to help if you tag me I might see your posts faster just type @Cloud_Mind and I will see your posts faster.   Although I am off overseas for XMAS so might be offline for a few weeks but there is heaps of other super users on here that will be able to help you as well. 

Warm regards

Renae 

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
https://twopeas.com.au/covid-19-resources/
Highlighted
Ultimate Partner
1,854 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,854Posts

1,442Kudos

163Solutions

@Chappie @Cloud_Mind

Chappie,

Renae has given you a very good answer.

A mute point would be Loan - Director should be called Loan from Director.

In Australia, a Loan from Director can be repaid by the Company at any time, pending Cash Flow, without any tax implications.

There are tax implications if there is a Debit Director's Loan Account ie Loan to Director.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E expressgst@optusnet.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post