Upgrading from v19.5 to 2018.3 w/- multi-currency

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced Partner kiwinode
19 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

19Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Upgrading from v19.5 to 2018.3 w/- multi-currency

Hello - we're trying to develop some understanding of what 2018.x is going to be like (we're planning to do a dry run to get a feel for things per Derek's video advice: second one on this page: https://www.myob.com/au/comms/accountants-partners/accountright-v19-hub ).  Current situation - about 10 users hitting in-house server (slow) running v19.5 server.  A couple of ODBC connections for services that should seamlessly be convertible to work with 2018.3.  We're an importer - multi-currency user (so it seems 2018.3 fits the need now).  300 MB company file with 10+ years of history.  Considering a clean restart, which is possible but uncomfortable for 6 months, since it would require going back to v19.5 to do lookups, etc.  Considering a file conversion to retain historical data using a 3rd party.  Considering pushing it through the current conversion facility in MYOB to see what pops out.  We understand that this is a dry run and expect based on our learning we'll probably do this a couple of times and create an appropriate migration path to implement over the next few months with a view to minimal operational impact and maximum upgrade benefits (we expect the latter will be numerous coming from 19.5 and believe that we may resolve the slow client-server issues by using an online file instead).  Can anyone provide advice on an appropriate pathway/recipe?  We are technically capable but hoping to avoid lessons already learned.  We know we will need to get our hands dirty. Cheers

15 REPLIES 15
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,080 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,080Posts

4,262Kudos

0Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Upgrading from v19.5 to 2018.3 w/- multi-currency

Hi @kiwinode

Great to hear that you are looking at migrating to the AccountRight 20xx range.

In terms of your case, with multiple currencies enabled in the AccountRight v19 company file, you are not able to migrate a company file with that preference enabled to the AccountRight 20xx range.  The AccountRight 20xx migrator will pick up on the fact that is used and prevent the migration going further. Although, we are investigating those options for clients going forward to allow those files to be brought across. 

In saying that, if you feel that multi-currency in AccountRight 2018.3 may be right for you and are looking at moving to that version my recommendation would be to either wait until we have fully investigated the options for moving those multi-currency files across to AccountRight 20xx OR set a date to get the balances from in the AccountRight v19 company file and enter those balances in a new AccountRight 2018 company file.

If you just want to see how the AccountRight 2018.3 multi-currency feature does work you are welcome to download and install AccountRight 2018.3 (from your my.MYOB account). Once installed, use the sample company file, Clearwater_Premier file to have a play of that feature. 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
19 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

19Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Steven - we're already tinkering with Clearwater in 2018.3.  Is it likely an auto conversion facility will be available in 2018 or is that more likely to be a 2019 event?  Given our 300 MB company file, do you think we'd experience some performance benefits by taking the hit and starting fresh on 2018.x?  We're open to it.  Cheers

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,080 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,080Posts

4,262Kudos

0Solutions

HI @kiwinode

I expect the investigation of the migration options available to clients with multiple currencies enabled to be concluded next year. The main focus for development work for multiple currency for the year rest of the year is on exporters (sales). 

Personally, based on previous experiences, clients that do have a smaller company file in AccountRight 2018 do have an overall better experience. So, my recommendation, for clients looking to move to AccountRight 2018 (disregarding the multi-currency stopping you at this point) is to either purge out as much as they can out of the AccountRight Classic file before optimising and migrating to AccountRight 2018 OR just starting a new file. You might want to take a look at Upgrading larger data files which outlines some options for migrating those files.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

19 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

19Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Steven - that's super helpful! 👍Cheers

Ultimate Partner Kym__Yeoward
1,642 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,642Posts

1,029Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @kiwinode - recommend you Find a local Adviser in New Zealand

Advisers who are Certified Consultants are experts in MYOB software ans experienced in doing data conversions.

Their rates are reasonable and you'll save a lot of time and stress.

Kym Yeoward, CPA & MYOB Adviser

Palmerston NT

Australia

19 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

19Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Hey @Kym__Yeoward - thanks for that.  Will look into it.  Cheers

Contributing Cover User TourTech
5 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Steven_M,

I've just had the most frustrating Support call on this issue after attempting to upgrade file from Premier 19.15 to 2018.3

We have used multi currency in the past but not at present so when presented with the message "cannot upgrade file due to use of multi currency, I found it highly frustrating that I could not de-select Multi currency use in Preferences of my 19.15 Premier file.....

What is the possible upgrade path if we cannot de-select (not in use) historical settings in our current file that will help enable the upgrade?

We do not use or want multi currency functionality, why can't we de-select it in our Premier 19.15 file ?

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,774 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

11,774Posts

1,377Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @TourTech

When the multicurrency preference is turned on in AccountRight v19, it makes a few changes to the file in the background of the file. Even if multicurrency isn’t used those changes still exist within the file.

Currently, as the multicurrency functionality is still being implemented within AccountRight 201X, AccountRight v19 files that have the multicurrency preference enabled cannot currently be upgraded. This is something that our team are working on to allow those files to be upgraded.

If you didn’t want to wait for the ability to upgrade those v19 files, the only current upgrade path is to start a new file in AccountRight 201X . This gets around the changes made by turning on the multicurrency preference in AccountRight v19

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Contributing Cover User TourTech
5 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Neil_M

Thanks for your response. Just so I'm crystal clear on this, becuase we have Multi currency preference selected, we cannot de-select it and up grade from v19.15 Premier to 2018.3 (which I believe is the latest version), is that correct?

This is despite the fact that this selection is historical and we have not transacted a multi currency transaction in any of the previous 2 financial years (current or previous)?

Is there no solution available to upgrade our file to latest version ? When will it be availble? We are paying for the latest software but been unable to use it. We cannot start a new file, we simply do not have the resources to start from scratch. It is 57MB

Our 3 x Perpertual Licences don't seem to have any sort of Perpetuity value anymore seeing how we're now on this subscription type model and it becomes even more frustrating that now we're in this "new world" model, we unable to use the latest software features that we're told we must pay for.

So unless we create a brand new file and undo +20 years of work, we cannot upgrade & use the latest MYOB version available. This is some predicament, don't you think? Please advise what options I may have missed on this.

Thanks

Toby Taylor

Tourism Technology P/L

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post