Partner Zone

Making negative adjustments to STP reported amounts - MYOB Essentials

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Yvonnev
Partner
16 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

16Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Making negative adjustments to STP reported amounts - MYOB Essentials

Hi MYOB

I have spent about 2 hours on the phone waiting for your assistance before I gave up waiting any longer and paying more for a failed phone call. We are a MYOB Partner. 

The issue is that an employee has been inadvertently over reported in gross wages throughout the year and this was recently picked up during our end of year wages reconciliation before attempting to lodge a final STP report with the ATO. Wages have been reported to the ATO under STP during the year ending 30 June 2019. 

An adjustment payrun needs to be made to reduce the gross amount only, that has been reported to the ATO, however several attempt to make this downward adjustment results in the same failed results. 

We have tried in the Pay Run window to do a dry payrun that records the adjustment either by:

* a negative normal earnings line - negative sign (-) simply cannot be entered OR

* create a reportable pre-tax deduction - resulting in error message 'amount of take home pay cannot be negative'  OR

* create a combination of non-reporting earnings line with a positive amount and then use the reportable pre-tax deduction line - resulting in a NIL take home pay situation - resulting in error message  'amount of take home pay cannot be negative' again, dispite the take home pay being a nil not a negative (basic maths)

Under the STP reporting rules from the ATO I should be able to make upward and downward adjustments, so long as the overall YTD figures are not negative. 

How do I enter into Essentials negative adjustments to affect the gross earnings so that I can then report this to the ATO so they have the correct YTD figures on the STP reports and then allow me to accurately finalise the STP report??

None of the help or instructions on your website for Essentials takes into consideration negative adjustments, it only refers to deleting a pay run, but this is under the pre-STP instructions sections, so deleting payruns under STP reporting will not fix the issue.

Prompt reply will be appreciated. 

Yvonne 

4 REPLIES 4
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
44,664 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

44,664Posts

6,146Kudos

6,672Solutions

Re: Making negative adjustments to STP reported amounts - MYOB Essentials

Hi @Yvonnev 

Sorry to see that no-one has offered their assistance in regards to your enquiry

MYOB Essentials currently doesn't allow for payroll transactions to have a negative net pay prior to processing. However, it will report the year-to-date information of the pays for the employees. So, if you have over-reported gross payments you would be looking at deleting that particular pay (or pays) that have been reported incorrectly and then reprocess those pays. 

Alternatively, depending on the reason why the pays were reported incorrectly, you could make the necessary changes to the Pay Item and then record a $0.00 pay for the employee(s). As it's reporting the year-to-date the information of the employee, you will have the most up to date information based on the current setting in the payroll reporting centre.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

NDA
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

This is disgraceful.

Surely MYOB Essentials can allow for a negative pay to be entered.

I too am at wits ends. A client always, without fail, enters in pays incorectly, records them, submitts them to the ATO and in order to recitify this, we cant. Why offer a product that doesn't adhere to ATO laws? Recommending that they move away from MYOB!

I give up!

Yvonnev
Partner
16 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

16Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

@NDA 

Yes i totally agree. Also essentials does not allow for nil pays as easy as is marketed. 

Unfortunately its a product that is extreemly limited in functionalty that i cringe having to use it or sell it to clients. My eventual work around was to migrate the client to another product that can do the job as stipulated in the ATOs advertised STP developers/software requirements/functionality doco's

Tracey_H
MYOB Moderator
11,819 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

11,819Posts

1,392Kudos

1,769Solutions

Hi @NDA 

Sorry to hear you are having problems with payroll in Essentials. While you can't enter negative pays you can delete incorrect pays then reprocess them correctly. When you send your next STP report the YTD amounts will be updated and corrected with the ATO. Alternatively you can create an update event by processing a $0 pay to update the YTD amounts with the ATO. 

When it comes to reporting corrections to the ATO, they require software to have the ability to create update events which is available in MYOB software. As they are only interested in the YTD amounts you only need to ensure that they are correct in the most recent STP report sent.

This support note, Pay processing FAQ's with STP has more information on STP and correcting mistakes.

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post