Retail Manager V12 Archive function runs but no records are archived

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing User BevanC
5 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
BevanC
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Retail Manager V12 Archive function runs but no records are archived

Hi All,

I am trying to assist a friend with a problem they have using Retail Manager V12.  They have been using Retail Manager for many years in their store but had never performed an Archive so all the transactions for the last 10 years are in the recent.mdb file.  I ran the Archive function and the process completed successfully without error but it does not appear to have moved any records into the archive.mdb file.

I have tried a compact and repair in both MYOB and directly in Access 2010.  After that I ran the process again and still no change.

I tried the offline function to move records older than 7 years out of the database and did see a reduction in size of the archive.mdb and an increase in the offline.mdb but the recent.mdb remained unchanged.

I am wondering if there is another process/report/export that need to be run to flag records before RM will move a record to the Archive database.  If anyone can offer advice on what might be preventing records moving to the archive database I would really appreciate your help.

I am new to the world of MYOB Retail Manager so sorry if this is something obvious that I am missing.

6 REPLIES 6
Former Staff Sebastien_D
2,000 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Sebastien_D
Former Staff

2784Posts

54Kudos

231Solutions

Re: Retail Manager V12 Archive function runs but no records are archived

Welcome to the Community Forum @BevanC, we hope you find it beneficial for your MYOB queries.

Normally the best way to tell the difference if data has been archived is that the datafile size increases. Were you able to see any notable changes in the size after the archive was complete? Also the archive function will only purge completed transactions. Have you checked if all completed transactions were removed?

Please let us know how you go as we are happy to assist further.

Kind Regards

Sebastien
MYOB Client Support

Accept as SolutionGot an answer that solves your issue?
Mark it as an Accepted Solution

Contributing User BevanC
5 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
BevanC
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for the reply Sebastien.

The recent.mdb is currently running at about 220mb and the Archive file is 600k.  After we run the archive process the recent.mdb fluctuates in size slightly (I suspect more to do with the compact process than anything else)  but the Archive.mdb is unchanged.

The store only uses a limited set of functions within the software at the moment which includes:

• Entering stock.
  • Sales via 2 POS terminals.
  • and some reports to pass to their accountant.

Until recently the only process they did at the end of the day was run the cashup process on the two POS machines. After reading the manual I have advised them that the cashup process is listed as two steps so they also now run the Cashup reports on the back office machine. 

I did noticed in the manual it mentioned only completed transaction will be archived but I have been unable to find any details on what marks a transaction as complete.

I suspected that there may be additional processes that need to be run before sales are considered complete but was not sure what other processes they should be running.  Even the user guide does not really make it very clear what processes must be run for transactions to be considered complete?

Any advise you can give a MYOB newbie would be greatly appreciated.

MYOB Moderator Emile
749 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Emile
MYOB Moderator

2625Posts

379Kudos

310Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @BevanC 

Thanks for the additional information.

There are a few reasons why the file size may not change after an Archive.

The main one is if the Accounting Export option has been selected in Set up > Options > Accounting but the sessions have never actually been exported through File > Accounting Export.

Any sessions that are 'waiting to be exported' are not included in the archive. Turning off the Accounting Export in the options will free up the sessions for archiving.

Certain transactions will never be archived like the Account Sales and Laybys.

Finally, it is possible there is file damage preventing the file from archiving properly. This doesn't sound likely in this case.

I hope this has helped.

Kind Regards,

Emile
MYOB Client Support
Contributing User BevanC
5 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
BevanC
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks that sounds like it might be the issue.

I am sure I remember seeing something about export settings being set to true in the settings somewhere, but was not aware how they could affect the archive process.

I will go and see them tomorrow and see if that resolves the issue.

Fingers crossed and then I can come and mark this as the solution.

Thanks again for you help.

Contributing User BevanC
5 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
BevanC
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

A big thankyou to Emile your suggestion about the system being set to export to MYOB accounting was 100% correct.  Once the Export setting was set to none the archive ran and moved over 100mb from the recent database to the archive database.

@Emile wrote:

Hi @BevanC 

Thanks for the additional information.

There are a few reasons why the file size may not change after an Archive.

The main one is if the Accounting Export option has been selected in Set up > Options > Accounting but the sessions have never actually been exported through File > Accounting Export.

Any sessions that are 'waiting to be exported' are not included in the archive. Turning off the Accounting Export in the options will free up the sessions for archiving.

Certain transactions will never be archived like the Account Sales and Laybys.

Finally, it is possible there is file damage preventing the file from archiving properly. This doesn't sound likely in this case.

I hope this has helped.

Thanks for your help

Bevan

MYOB Moderator Emile
749 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Emile
MYOB Moderator

2625Posts

379Kudos

310Solutions

Hi @BevanC 

You are most welcome.

Thanks for letting us know how you went. I'm glad the suggestion has helped.

Kind Regards,

Emile
MYOB Client Support
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post