Forum Discussion

Monia
User
26 days ago

negative value of expenses

At the beginning of April, I noticed that my expenses in the dashboard were shown in a negative amount, when I started entering expenses from April, this amount started to decrease. even though I incur costs, my expenses are negative. When checking the GST report, it shows the amount of costs in brackets, which means that instead of reducing my ATO liability, it increased it. this happened when myob essential changed to myob business. I am very dissatisfied because the monthly fee has increased and there are errors and problems. what should I do to make the expenses appear as in March and earlier?

7 Replies

Shella_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Monia

I get that it's alarming to see the negative value of expenses in your dashboard for this month of April. It might be worth checking how the transaction is being recorded. Transactions that have been recorded incorrectly result in incorrect reports, as the expense value should be increasing. 

Let me know how you'd go on this and if you require further help.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Kind regards,

Shella

Monia
      User

Hi,

Thank you for response - negative value of expenses was showed before I start recorded expenses to the system. On the begining I saw value  - $ 2300, now after few recording I see. -$ 1169.  The expenses start increasing, however still negative , this give incorect results in report.   Before April everything was corect, this is first time when I have sytuation like it.  I think that is some error in system after change from Myob Esential to Myob Business. 

Thank you 

Doreen_P
        MYOB Moderator

Hi Monia,

Thanks for your response.

Please confirm if the opening balances are the figures showing as negative even though the balances were entered correctly. If so, you will need to enter the opening balance by way of a journal entry and not the opening balance field. This step required speaking with your accountant for guidance on what the opening balance journal entry should look like.

Feel free to post again anytime if you require further assistance. 

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information.

Best regards,

Doreen