Forum Discussion

NJ818
User
3 months ago
Solved

Superannuation - previous/old Financial Years

Hi everyone

I am seeking help and advise in relation to TFN and superannuation.

We took over the business from partners a few years ago but have only now managed to get a time to do more reconciliation.  As they were looking after the payroll side of thing previously, we never had a look and the accountant we had didn't mention anything so we didn't realise that our superannuation payment was not up to date.  

In short, we have now managed to get access to the Super portal and reconciled the superannuation account.  There were some old staff who had not been paid their superannuation, so this is a criticial thing for us to do asap.  It is showing in liability, which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, there were 2 staff with no TFN record, and we couldn't get hold of them.  I had used ATO TFN advice, but the super payments portal keep giving TFN error message.  

Any advice on how to fix this, please?   Thank you.

• Hi NJ818,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community Forum. I hope you find plenty of helpful information.

My apologies for the delay in response. I'm sorry to hear that you're still having difficulties with your staff's TFN. I understand your concern about the TFN error message and the missing TFN records for the two staff members. We appreciate your patience with this. Here's some advice for checking:

• Ensure that the TFN details for all employees are correctly entered in MYOB. Check the details by going to Payroll> Employee> Click the Employee Name> Payroll Details> Taxes.
    • TFN Error Message: The TFN (Tax File Number) is a crucial piece of information for superannuation payments. If the super payments portal is giving a TFN error message, it could be due to missing or incorrect TFN details. Please ensure that the TFN details for all employees are correctly entered in your MYOB system.
    • Missing TFN Records: If you're unable to get hold of the two staff members to obtain their TFN, you may need to contact the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for advice. The ATO has guidelines on what to do when an employee does not provide their TFN. Generally, you may need to withhold at the top rate any payments made to these employees.

Please note that these are general guidelines, and the exact process may vary depending on your specific situation. If you need more detailed instructions or if you're still encountering issues, I recommend reaching out to the ATO for further assistance.

Kind regards,

Shella

1 Reply

Shella_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi NJ818,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community Forum. I hope you find plenty of helpful information.

My apologies for the delay in response. I'm sorry to hear that you're still having difficulties with your staff's TFN. I understand your concern about the TFN error message and the missing TFN records for the two staff members. We appreciate your patience with this. Here's some advice for checking:

• Ensure that the TFN details for all employees are correctly entered in MYOB. Check the details by going to Payroll> Employee> Click the Employee Name> Payroll Details> Taxes.
    • TFN Error Message: The TFN (Tax File Number) is a crucial piece of information for superannuation payments. If the super payments portal is giving a TFN error message, it could be due to missing or incorrect TFN details. Please ensure that the TFN details for all employees are correctly entered in your MYOB system.
    • Missing TFN Records: If you're unable to get hold of the two staff members to obtain their TFN, you may need to contact the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for advice. The ATO has guidelines on what to do when an employee does not provide their TFN. Generally, you may need to withhold at the top rate any payments made to these employees.

Please note that these are general guidelines, and the exact process may vary depending on your specific situation. If you need more detailed instructions or if you're still encountering issues, I recommend reaching out to the ATO for further assistance.

Kind regards,

Shella