Forum Discussion

Bronski
Experienced Cover User
3 years ago
Solved

Calculating Hours based on 7.6 Hour Day Scenario

Hi,

The way my work is set up, our guys work 38 hours - Monday to Thursday 8.50 hours less 1/2 hour for lunch & 6 hours on the Friday = 38 Hours.

My son has just started working & they work on the 7.6 Hours per day over 5 days to = 38 Hours.

I just can't get my head around the logic & trying to work out the hours & minutes. The 7.6 Hours is fine when a normal day & week occurs. My question is when for example he starts work, feels sick & goes home. An 8 hour day it would be for example he has worked say 4 1/4 hours & sick leave as 3 3/4 hours = 8 hours.  Using the 7.6Hours set up, how do you show the worked time & the sick leave time.

Any advice or examples would be greatly appreciated. I'm just wanting to make sure he does not get ripped off by his new boss.

• Hi Bronski 

Ideally, this question would be better posed to Fair Work Australia or a similar organisation to get a better understanding on the rules and methods around that calculation.

In saying that, typically, it would be proportionate to the amount of shift they have completed. For example, say they are supposed to have work 7.6 hours and they have left after working 3.5 hours you would pay the employee 3.5 hours their normal wage and 4.1 hours leave.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Bronski 

Ideally, this question would be better posed to Fair Work Australia or a similar organisation to get a better understanding on the rules and methods around that calculation.

In saying that, typically, it would be proportionate to the amount of shift they have completed. For example, say they are supposed to have work 7.6 hours and they have left after working 3.5 hours you would pay the employee 3.5 hours their normal wage and 4.1 hours leave.

Bronski
      Experienced Cover User

Hi Steven, 

Thanks for your reply & advice.

I have sent an online enquiry to Fairwork to see if they can enlighten me with how it all works.

In the meantime, you have given me an answer that I can work with - so thank you!   :-)

Many thanks,

Bronwyn