Forum Discussion

5 years ago
Solved

ATO Error Message for Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) 2019

Hi

I have been trying to test lodge my TPAR file with the ATO and I keep getting an error message stating that it failed due to the following reason:

"Reason: Please contact your software developer. The file size is not a correct multiple of the record length."

I spoke to Myob Support yesterday and we went through the process of opening the file up in Notebook++ and they thought it had something to do with the addresses.  I retyped in the addresses for the suppliers listed but that did not seem to have any effect.  It was also suggested that I open my Myob datafile on my local desktop and do the report and save the file there.  Usually I work from a remote desktop and would normally copy and paste the file to my local desktop as my Auskey is on a USB.  So I did this just now and even though the file is not being moved anywhere I still received the error message when doing the test lodge.

Can anyone shed any light on how to fix please?

Thanks

Christine 

• Hi Christine07,

Thank you for the post!

There are a couple of things that can produce that particular error. The first is that the Empdupe file has been opened and edited in another program, which upsets the formatting of the file. This would make the file unusable by the ATO for reporting purposes.

The other common cause comes from the address or company name fields. Specifically that there may be an illegal or invalid character entered into the fields. To help resolve this you would need to go into the company details on the preparing of the payment summaries and overtype all of the information with the same details.

Thank you.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Christine07,

Thank you for the post!

There are a couple of things that can produce that particular error. The first is that the Empdupe file has been opened and edited in another program, which upsets the formatting of the file. This would make the file unusable by the ATO for reporting purposes.

The other common cause comes from the address or company name fields. Specifically that there may be an illegal or invalid character entered into the fields. To help resolve this you would need to go into the company details on the preparing of the payment summaries and overtype all of the information with the same details.

Thank you.

Christine07
      User

Hi Gayathri

Thanks for your reply.  When I redid the report this morning on my local desktop I did not open the file in any program.  I did nothing more than save the TPAR file on my local desktop and went straight to the ATO Business Portal to do the test lodge.

I redid the report again just now and retyped the company information as you suggested.  Unfortunately the test lodge is still failing with the same message.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks 

Christine

gavin12345
        Ultimate User

Hi Christine07 

Address issue cause 'illegal character' errors, not the error you are reporting. The most common cause is users lodging the wrong file. When saving the lodgment file in MYOB be sure to give the file a clear and distinct file name. Upload the same file. 

If problems persist this could be caused by non Windows based servers/computers. Are you using a unix server or a Mac at any point?

Check the exact file size of the file when originally created. Then check the exact file size on the computer from which you are trying to lodge. Has the file size changed at all? One byte can make a difference.

What is the exact file size and how may Payees are you reporting on?

Regards

Gavin