long service leave

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
VE1
Contributing User
9 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

9Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

long service leave

HI,

1/ When I create a new payroll wage category for Long Service Leave – is the ATO reportable category Gross payments?

2/ If an employee takes long service leave does that payment accrue hours or should it be exempt?
3/ Also,  if I was trying to journal a dollar amount into #2-1773 Provision For Long Service Leave so that it would show in the general ledger what is the other account that I would use? #6-6371 Wages Bar Staff?

MYOB online shows to set it up under Wages bar staff – not a separate long service leave account number under wages.

CR Liability

DR Wages 

5 REPLIES 5
LRBooks61
Ultimate Cover User
1,054 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,054Posts

214Kudos

124Solutions

Re: long service leave

Hi

1.Yes it is gross payments

2. Yes you still accrue all leave when on any type of leave

3. the expense account I suggest would be named-  leave accrued - no doubt you would be doing the same for annual leave - so

CR liability ( provision for leave)

DR expense ( leave accrued)

Hope that helps

Lisa

VE1
Contributing User
9 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

9Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Lisa,  

Are you saying that the DR expense ( leave accrued) is a totally separate account from normal wages?

On a payslip under entitlements for long service leave accual what should the account number be:- wages or a new account called leave accrued?

Thanks.

LRBooks61
Ultimate Cover User
1,054 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,054Posts

214Kudos

124Solutions

Hi

Yes I am saying that it should be shown seperately when you are accruing it ( not when you are paying it as it is then a wage category)

You would not be able to reconcile your eofy wages if you accrue entitlements to a wage account.

It is an entitlement - there is no corresponding account associated with it , hence you do the journal to include the provision for it in the Balance sheet - the offset being the accrual in the Profit and loss

If you were to look at the journal of one of your payroll entries you will see that there is no recording in the gl of entitlements - just in the employee card.

Hope that makes sense

Lisa

VE1
Contributing User
9 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

9Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Lisa , 

Thank you for your patience.

On a payslip:-

Under entitlements

Long Service Leave Accrual - should this be normal wages or a liability account. From what I saw on MYOB online it is wages???

Cheers

LRBooks61
Ultimate Cover User
1,054 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,054Posts

214Kudos

124Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

It is just an entitlement that accrues. 
when you use the entitlements they are paid and recorded as wages. 

the reason you need to do a journal is to record the dollar value as the entitlements are only recorded in hours. 

look at the payroll categories. The tab for entitlements - you will see that they are just calculated. The wages tab you will see have linked gl accounts. 

on the payslip for super for instance it has the expense account and the liability account the leave accrual only has the hour's accrued 

hope that clears it up

lisa

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post