Incorrect GST

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
MelBee
Experienced Cover User
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

1Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Incorrect GST

I have found a purchase invoice that was entered as GST inc incorrectly.  (It was a charge from overseas and should have been exempt.)

This was in a previous period so it means that I will have overclaimed in my BAS for the GST amount.

How can I fix this please.  THere are about 8 invoices I've noticed that have this error.

Can anyone else please?

Many thanks

M

2 REPLIES 2
The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,537 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,537Posts

165Kudos

162Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Incorrect GST

Hi @MelBee 

2 ways of doing this - the easiest is alter the invoices from GST to EXP - easy - but if you treat each GST quarter or period as a sancrosanct closed off period and signed and sealed - that won't be possible - I don't as things change throughout the year.

I always calculate my BAS GST as a Net GST for the current quarter/period + or - any alterations on prior periods - so the net GST at the end of the latest period is netted to zero.

If you  don't want to do that then you have to do a purchase for that supplier that credits back to GST on purchases the over claimed GST 

Create a  purchase - 2 lines for the company - let's say you overclaimed $100 GST on purchases

Make sure the tax incl box is ticked

Line 1 

-1    itemx                                         Price  1100                                               tax - GST         (GST will show as -100)

Line 2

1   itemx                                           Price 1100                                                 tax - n-t           (GST - 0)

The total for the invoice will be ZERO.

Goto Edit - Recap

I used Accounting fees s an item allocated to 6-1102

So recap will be debit 100 6-1102        credit 100 GST on purchases

Record the invoice as zero and all is fixed.

The Doc

line 1 

LRBooks61
Ultimate Cover User
1,054 Posts
Ultimate Cover User
Australia
Ultimate Cover User

1,054Posts

214Kudos

124Solutions

Re: Incorrect GST

hi

THe easiest way is to do a journal to reverse the purchase amount and reenter correctly

You can do this in one journal by noting the invoices individually or combined in the one journal entry

The thing to remeber is that you need to do the journal including the tax amount

So for instance you have purchased goods from overseas for $350 $770 $425 (total $1545)

so first reverse the expense that contains GST

CR 6-XXXX             350 GST

DR 6- XXXX    350         FRE

CR 6-XXXXX              770 GST

DR 6-XXXX      770         FRE

CR 6-XXXX                 425   GST

DR 6 -XXXX    425             FRE

if you combine 

CR 6-XXXXX                  1545   GST

DR 6-XXXX           1545             FRE

Doing this will amend the next BAS report to reflect the change required

Hope this helps