Experienced User
Debbiesap
Experienced User

48Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

ATO BAS REFUNDS

How do I record GST refunds from the ATO and which tax codes would I use.

I have currently recorded as per the below screeen shot:

However, when I run the company auditor report the following message is shown:

I am assuming that this is ok but would appreciate confirmation. Additiinally does it have any bearing when doing my BAS recon against the GL tax collect/paid accounts

We report on a quarterly cash basis.
Thank you
ato refund.JPG
3 REPLIES
Ultimate Partner Seattle
1,409 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Seattle
Ultimate Partner

1409Posts

1151Kudos

134Solutions

Re: ATO BAS REFUNDS

@Debbiesap

When I prepare a April - June BAS, I create a ledger called BAS April - June xx.

Many Tax Accountants/BAS Agents/Business Owners.do not undertake this step.

If it were me, I would do a Journal for the Components on the April - June BAS to a ledger called BAS April - June xx. As the BAS has a refund, it would appear as a Current Asset.

The Tax Codes for Components of a BAS are N-T.

It is important to reconcile the GST Reports and Payroll Reports to the Balance Sheet every time a BAS/IAS is prepared. Have a look on the Forum for my GST Checklist.

Let me know how you go.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
www.businessadviceplustax.com.au
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E expressgst@optusnet.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days
Super Partner GDay53
406 Posts
Super Partner
Australia
GDay53
Super Partner

406Posts

490Kudos

74Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

@Debbiesap

I do something similar to @Seattle.

As a BAS Agent i have acces to my clients ATO Integrated Client Account which tells us exactly how much they owe to the tax office at any one time. I treat this the same as a Bank / Creit Card account.

I create a Liability Account immediately after the GST Collected and GST Paid accounts in the Liability section of the Chart of Accountsand call it the ATO ICA account and make it a Credit Card type.

When it is BAS / IAS time I create a Journal entry to move the GST Collected / Paid, the PAYG, The PAYGI, Fuel tax Credits and anything elese that has to be included, into the ATO ICA. GST Collected is always a Debit and GST Paid is always a Credit. The last line entry for the Journal is to the ATO ICA and the amount should balance the Journal and if you owe the Tax office it will be a Credit or if you are getting a refund it should be a Debit.

When it is time to actually pay the ATO or receive the refund you simply do a Spend or Receive Money from the Bank account to the ATO ICA account.

I also download a statement from the BAS Agents portal and reconcile the ATO ICA account like any other bank/credit card account.

Ultimate Partner Seattle
1,409 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Seattle
Ultimate Partner

1409Posts

1151Kudos

134Solutions

@Debbiesap @GDay53

Gavin gave you a good explanation.

I come across business owners accounting software where the GST Liability Accounts have not been reconciled in MYOB for many years - some since GST started in July 2000.

From a review perspective, I believe it is important to reflect the BAS April - June as a separate account name to the ATO ICA.

To my knowledge and, I wonder why, the Standards Board or industry bodies have not given guidance on this.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
www.businessadviceplustax.com.au
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E expressgst@optusnet.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post