Forum Discussion

Paula3
Contributing User
10 months ago
Solved

Create a credit for an invoice overpaid.

Hello, 

I created an invoice for $1,928 and the customer has paid $2,078. 

I would like to create a $150 credit note for this costumer but I am not sure about how to do it because the system asks me for an account for late changes.

Could you please let me know how to receive this invoice and create a credit note with the difference?

I have attached screenshots.

Thank you very much for your help. 

• Hi Paula3 , record a customer payment for $120, allocate $40 to one invoice, and overtype $80 into the amount applied field for the second invoice, then record. A message will appear to say that a credit is being created. 

9 Replies

Mike_James
    Ultimate Partner

Hi Paula3 , the amount applied will contain the amount of the invoice, so immediately click back on that value and type the amount received. Clear the "finance charge" field and select record. You will be warned that a credit note will be created, confirm to record.

The credit can be seen in the sales register,  returns & credits tab, and can be settled against a future invoice or refunded. 

Paula3
      Contributing User

Good morning Mike, 

Thanks for your reply.

I still have this issue.

A client has 2 invoices of $40 each and has paid $120 istead of $80. how could i create $40 credit note for this client?

Please, find attached screenshoots.

Thank you so much for your help.

Paula

Mike_James
        Ultimate Partner

Hi Paula3 , record a customer payment for $120, allocate $40 to one invoice, and overtype $80 into the amount applied field for the second invoice, then record. A message will appear to say that a credit is being created.