STP - Nonsuper Salary Sacrifice

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
JB_Incredable
Experienced Cover User
29 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

29Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

STP - Nonsuper Salary Sacrifice

Hi. I've browsed the community extensively & I now know what I should have done to meet the requirements of STP reporting. Unfortunately, when I started my job 12 months ago, nonsuper salary sacrifice (we are a not for profit charity) was setup under Superannuation instead of deductions. I was told that it was set up this way because it was the only way they could get the tax calculating on the correct gross wage. I had no experience with MYOB prior to this position so I was none the wiser. My research of this community has discovered that the correct way to set it up is to create the salary sacrifice amount as a Deduction then Exempt it from tax. All of the employee data to be finalised for STP, shows the gross wage prior to the salary sacrifice amounts which is incorrect. We elected to introduce STP early (March 2019) due to less than 19 employees. I'm thinking at this late stage it's best to phone the ATO to see if I can submit payment summaries as normal for 2019FY & change all of the salary sacrifice deductions in MYOB for the new FY. Can anyone please advise if my thinking is correct? I plan to phone the ATO tomorrow. Thank you!!

5 REPLIES 5
DannyTangney
Valued Cover User
320 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

320Posts

73Kudos

17Solutions

Re: STP - Nonsuper Salary Sacrifice

Hi @JB_Incredable 

My inclination would be to change the Payroll Category as you have suggested, and then run a zero payroll for one employee and see what happens with both your Payroll reporting and the End of year finalization report...

If it doesn't work, change the Payroll Category back and do another zero payroll, but if it does work, do a $0.00 payroll for everyone affected.

Maybe a backup first would be a good idea !

Cheers,
Danny

JB_Incredable
Experienced Cover User
29 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

29Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Danny. Would I be correct in saying that to fix this issue, do a zero payrun with the YTD value for the incorrect payroll category as a negative, and the same YTD value in the correct payroll category as a positive? This would give the correct YTD value against the correct payroll category. I could try it for one employee & see how it goes.

Do you agree?

Thanks,

Julie 

DannyTangney
Valued Cover User
320 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

320Posts

73Kudos

17Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @JB_Incredable 

We (and others) found that the + and - didn't work, but if you just record a payroll with the + ETP Salary only and send it through, that should work - just remember to delete/reverse the payroll afterwards !

Cheers,

Danny

JB_Incredable
Experienced Cover User
29 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

29Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Danny. I did exactly as I mentioned & it worked!! Very happy. Thanks for your help!

DannyTangney
Valued Cover User
320 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
Valued Cover User

320Posts

73Kudos

17Solutions

You're welcome, @JB_Incredable 

Didn't find your answer here?