BALANCING GST RETURNS

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
JANELLE
Experienced Cover User
190 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

190Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

BALANCING GST RETURNS

How is the best way to Balance GST in MYOB to know that you are paying correct monies to ATO.

1 REPLY 1
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: BALANCING GST RETURNS

Hi @JANELLE 

Thanks for your post. Diffferent accountants/bookkeepers have different processes for reconciling their BAS/GST accounts so I'll tell you what I used to do when I was bookkeeper.

If you report on the cash basis to reconcile GST collected to the Balance Sheet run the Balance Sheet, Receivables with Tax report and GST summary cash report -

Balance Sheet - GST collected figure

less the total on the Receivables with tax report

equals GST summary cash - GST collected figure

I used to also manually reconcile this in the Reconcile Accounts window by changing the account to the GST collected account, the Closing statement balance to 0.00 and the date to the end of the period, eg, 31/12/2020. In the Mark column select all. Then using the Receivables with Tax report, untick all transactions that make up the customer totals in that report. This is because those invoices haven't been paid yet so are not reported in the cash accounting method and the GST value has not been collected.

When all unpaid invoices have been unticked the Out of balance amount should be the GST collected figure on the GST summary cash report. When you pay the BAS, go back to the Reconcile Accounts window, change the Closing Statement Balance to 0.00 and extend the date to the date you recorded the BAS payment. All previously selected transactions should still be selected so you will only need to tick the payment transaction. This should then give you an Out of balance amount of 0.00 so you can click on Reconcile and reconcile that account.

Repeat the process to reconcile GST Paid to the Balance Sheet, just use the Payables with Tax report and GST paid figures.

Please let me know if you need further help or have any questions about this.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post