Inventory returned under warranty

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
sharnic
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Inventory returned under warranty

Hi, we use the Inventory module of AccountRight. We sold a unit to a customer and he has returned it under warranty. 

It won't be put back into our inventory system, as it will be sent back to our head office for a credit (in due course).

In the meantime, we ordered a new unit, so this has been entered as a purchase in the normal manner (and an increase in the stock inventory quantity).

Do I just do a new sale to him for zero price, so the number of stock is reduced again (after the new purchase was entered)?

I don't think I should credit the customer for the returned unit as this will increase the unit number by an additional one (as the new purchase has been recorded).

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Inventory returned under warranty

Hi @sharnic 

The way I would deal with that situation would be to create a credit note for that customer using a service layout, sell the customer that item and then apply that credit note to the invoice to close it. I've included the full process below:

1. Navigate to Sales>>Enter Sales
  2. Choose the Customer
  3. Click Layout and select Service before OK
  4. Enter a description, select an appropriate account (typically would be the original income account) and the desired amount as a negative
  5. Record the transaction.
  6. Navigate to Sales>>Sales Register>>Returns & Credits>>Ensure that you have that negative sale listed
  7. Navigate to Sales>>Enter Sales
  8. Choose the Customer
  9. Click Layout and select Item before OK
  10. Enter a sale for that item to that customer
  11. Once recorded, complete Step 6 again and navigate to the Returns and Credits
  12. Highlight that desired credit note before selecting Apply to Sale
  13. Apply that credit amount to the outstanding invoice before recording the Settle Returns and Credits transaction.

The following process will show that the item was sold to the customer a second time but will be closed by that credit note (which doesn't impact the item numbers in any way). 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

sharnic
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions