Journal Entry

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
MichASR
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Journal Entry

Hi,

I am the bookkeeper for two seperate businesses that are owned by the same person. Therefore I have two seperate MYOB company files.  The owner has only just purchased the new business.

Occassionally one company (business A) might pay for the expenses of the other company (business B) and visa versa.

Can you please tell me what manual journal I should use to capture this? I believe I have to place it to a loan in Business A then enter it into Business B via a loan account (via a journal entry).  

Some guidance would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Journal Entry

Hi @MichASR 

Thanks for your post. One way to handle this situation is to create loan liability accounts for each company. So in Company A create a loan liability account for Company B and in Company B create a loan liability account for Company A. Make sure the Account Type is Credit card.

When Company A pays a Company B expense:

1. in Company B record the expense as you normally would. If you record a Spend Money transaction change the Pay from account to the Company A loan liability account. If you record a Purchase transaction when you record the Pay bills change the Pay from account to the Company A loan liability account.
  2. in Company A record a spend money transaction with the Pay from account as the bank account and allocate to the Company B loan liability account

In Company B the expense will be correctly recorded as an expense of that business without affecting the bank account. In Company A the bank account will show the payment made without affecting the P&L. The loan liability accounts also allow you to keep track of the amounts each company 'owes' the other.

If Company B reimburses Company A:

1. in Company B record a Transfer money transaction from the bank account to the Company A loan liability account
  2. in Company A record a Transfer money transaction from the Company B loan liability to the bank account

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

MichASR
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User