Inventory Costs

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
JosephE
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Inventory Costs

We are a manufacturing business and over the last 2 months we have noticed that our average costs in MYOB on select lines have dropped dramatically between January to February and further again from February to March. This is causing our Cost of Sales and Inventory to be skewed dramatically. We have not had any cost reductions nor made any preference changes or changes to how we build our products.

I was wondering if anybody else has expereinced this issue before and has ideas on what might be causing this?

We are using MYOB AccountRight. 

9 REPLIES 9
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,864 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,864Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Re: Inventory Costs

Hi @JosephE , if these are manufactured products, and you use autobuild, are the autobuilds being recorded at lower costs than before? Are any component costs not being included?

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

JosephE
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Mike

These are manufactured products, and we are using autobuild. The the autobuilds don't seem to be recorded at lower costs than before and all the component costs arebeing included that were before. 

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,864 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,864Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @JosephE , can you pick a good example of a product with this issue, then run the item register detail report for a suitable (long) date range to Excel, and add a column for the unit cost of each transaction. If possible, pick an item that you can report from its beginning in the file

1. Does the report agree to the screen register?

2. Does the change in unit costs provide any clues?

(Sales transactions pick up the average cost/unit from the item information at the time the sale is recorded).

Do you use multiple locations?

(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

JosephE
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks again MIke

Interesting results for the Item Register report. There is a whole bunch of transactions in the periods in whch the Margin has dropped where the amount on certain sale transactions is zero even though the quantity of stock on hand is going down by large amounts.

I have attached a screenshot.

Any thoughts on why and how this could be happening?

Screenshot 2022-03-25 130824.jpg
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,864 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,864Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @JosephE , I don't see any build transactions, so I can't see a full movement history? 

For any of the invoices showing zero cogs on this display, if you edit the invoice, add a fullstop to the journal memo, click OK (to repost the invoice), then run this report again, do the values change?

Can you run an item sales detail report for this product, and customise it to remove the Status and Promised Date fields, and add in the Gross margin dollar and percent. Do the sales showing nil COGS on this register report correctly or not? (Don't post the result, too sensitive).  

JosephE
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Mike_James ,

Tried editing the invoice in this way but unfortunately had no effect on the values.

I have attached an example of the full movement history on an invoice where there were many zero COGS transactions (00028739). I have highlighted the zero COGS transactions. As you can see the build amounts are correct but no costs are going up against the sale. 

I ran the item sales detail report for this transaction also and the Gross margin dollar and percent are showing 100% margin on the sales showing nil COGS on the item register.

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,864 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,864Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @JosephE , I found this post from another user with a similar issue this month:

https://community.myob.com/t5/AccountRight-Sales-and-purchases/auto-build-not-working-on-some-items/...

The problem appears to be caused by sending the invoice to disk before recording it. Maybe this applies to your issue?

JosephE
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Mike_James 

This issue looks different to mine but also it doesn't look like it was resolved in any event. 

I will reach out to MYOB directly to try to resolve.

Regards,

Joseph

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,030 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,030Posts

914Kudos

640Solutions

Hi @JosephE 

There are still a lot of bugs in Inventory in AR2022, and your issues is likely caused by one or more of those bugs. For example when deleting/editing/reversing an existing transaction, MYOB does not always update values correctly, causing a zero value.  Autobuilds also don't always adjust values correctly.

Note that the approach suggested by @Mike_James to force a re-edit of the invoice by adding a full stop will re-edit the invoice using 'current' values and settings, not those at the time of the original transaction. Your current value for this item seems to be zero, so MYOB will use zero, hence no change. If you do an inventory adjustment to set the value to the correct average cost, then re-edit, MYOB 'should' redo the invoices with the current average cost.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post