8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Inventory Variances

Hi,

We have huge inventory variances between the inventory ledger and the GL.  I have identified that the variances are due to product builds.  The product build is using the inventory account in the account column, not the COGS account, as recommended on your support pages.   When I check the item set up, it appears set up correctly (file attached).  We do our product builds in tall emu and the item set up is identical to the MYOB set up.  

How do I get the account to go to the COGS and not the inventory account, which causes the imbalance?  

Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
13 REPLIES 13
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,867 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,867Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Re: Inventory Variances

Hi @Blair38 , builds are a transfer between inventory items, and therefore only affect your inventory asset accounts, not cogs. 

What makes you believe that builds cause the  variance?

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

Genreve_S
MYOB Moderator
2,908 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,908Posts

90Kudos

387Solutions

Hi @Blair38

Thanks for posting your concern. We appreciate your effort attaching the screenshot. 

It is as @Mike_James has mentioned. The information for auto build items only affects inventory accounts. In my understanding, the 5-1610 Cogs account is a Cost of Sales account. May I ask how you ended up with the conclusion that it's the Cogs account that's causing the variance. Also, any additional screenshots or information would be much appreciated. 

We look forward to your response. 

Thanks,

Genreve

Genreve_S
MYOB Moderator
2,908 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,908Posts

90Kudos

387Solutions

Hi @Blair38

I hope you are well today. We haven't received any response from you since Wednesday. Let us know if you still require help with your inventory variance.

Thanks,

Genreve

Blair38
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Mike,

Thank you for getting back to me.  I only work part time, so today is first day back in the office since posting my question.

I have attached a screen shot of the GL which relates the the transaction in the screen shots previously provided.  

I don't believe the COGS account is the issue.  I believe the fact that the journal created in the background by MYOB DR's and CR's the asset account is the issue.  I believe one side of the transaction should be going to the COGS account when it is not.  

I have run an inventory variance report on 31st October and again on 1st November.  There is movement in the variance by $21.79 in finished goods and $15.53 in raw materials.  This is what leads me to believe the variance is caused by MYOB DR'ing and CR'ing the same asset account, instead of the COGS.  

If the DR to raw materials of $15.53 and the CR to finished goods of $21.79 was not being posted to those asset accounts, there would be no change to the variance on the inventory variance report. 

Capture2.JPG
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,867 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,867Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @Blair38 , thanks for providing these further details. The journal does not look like a normal autobuild entry should, so can I ask for more information: For all the item codes involved in the journal, can you review each one and note the inventory asset account. Then tell me if any other asset accounts appear in the list other than the two accounts shown in your screenshot?

(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Blair38
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

The items have the following asset accounts:
PTE2140 1-1330 Finished Goods

PTE2150 1-1330 Finished Goods

COP016 1-1310 Raw Materials

COJ036 1-1310 Raw Materials

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,867 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,867Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @Blair38 , can you also send me a screenshot of the journal itself?

Blair38
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

The journal is in the screen shots above.

CR 1-1310 $0.79

CR 1-1310 $14.74

DR 1-1310 $15.53

CR 1-1330 $126.93

DR 1-1330 $148.72

CR 1-1330 $21.79

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,867 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,867Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @Blair38 , I'd like to see the actual journal, with item codes, qty's and amounts, thank you.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post