Share your ideas for improving MYOB Business. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Have the ability to duplicate general journals, sales journals, purchase journals, etc

User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

3 Posts
User
New
New

Is there an ability to easily duplicate general journals, sales journals, purchase journals, etc without have to use the existing "Save and duplicate" or "Record and duplicate" functionality?  I ask this because to use that existing functionality, the journal being duplicated can't be in a previous period that has already been "locked" which is problematic when all previous FY journals have been locked.

eg. at end of financial year, I post a few EOFY-specific journals to balance accounts, make distributions.  Then once this is all done, I lock the accounts up to that date so that the ledgers can't be easily altered accidentally.  However, come the end of the next financial year, I need to post similar EOFY-specific journals for that financial year, just altering a few things, so I just need a button to duplicate the older ones and change the date of the journal and a few numbers.  This is not currently doable because the previous FY transactions have all been locked.  To accomplis this, need to unlock the previous year's transactions before using the "save and duplicate"/"record and duplicate" button, but this exposes the potential of accidentally changing last year's transactions as they are now unlocked.

I believe this old forum topic asked for something similar(https://community.myob.com/t5/Original-MYOB-Essentials/Copying-Journals/td-p/673096) but this has now been archived/locked so can't access it any more

3 Comments
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,864 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Edit: too late I saw the post was filed in MYOB Business (browser). Ignore.

Hi @Kenbo , whilst I agree that functions on the general journal screen like duplication, reverse & auto-reverse would be amazing, I hope you have also considered using the recurring journal features (available for other transaction types too)? And another method would be to export the EOY journals to a file, then transfer and save them in Excel files for update & import next year. 

Kenbo
3 Posts
User

I have considered those, but not every EOFY journal needs to be duplicated every year, some are required this year, others are required for other years, depending on the events that has happened during the year.  I also don't like that the recurring journals are always created with the same numbers every period without any input from me. My numbers vary every period so its not that useful and I'd rather have control over when they "recur" rather than having them always duplicate every period with the same numbers over and over, hence my request for a "duplicate" function where I can control when they duplicate and each time I trigger the duplication, I can vary the numbers as needed.  If they "recur" automatically, there's no prompt for me to go and make sure the numbers are correct for that period.

Thanks for the tip regarding the exporting to a file, then transfer and save, and import, etc.. but that seems like even more work than just unlocking the previous period and "save and duplicating" as required.

I can't imagine that it would be that hard to just add a "duplicate" functionality into the application, the code is already there as part of the "save and duplicate" functionality, just skip the save part.

Genreve_S
MYOB Moderator
2,908 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @Kenbo

Thanks for your post.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Your suggestion seems to be a great fit for our Ideas Exchange board, where it can gain more visibility and be considered for future updates. As of now, the feature you mentioned is not available in our application.

I'll assist in moving your post to the Ideas Exchange board to ensure it reaches the right team. In the meantime, if you need help with anything else, please don't hesitate to start a new thread. We're here to support you.

Thanks,
Genreve