STP2

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Fran_29
Contributing Cover User
14 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

14Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

STP2

Hi,

I managed to update to STP Phase 2, but when I sent an update event, I received a message with" Accepted with errors", but it says the good news that it has been accepted  by the ATO.

It says it needs to fix before the next pay run. Cessation Reason code must be provided.

I had a terminated employee -Lump sum A for unused annual leave. 

Could you please help and advise? is it something that  I have missed? I know the code is T, but I don't know where to put the code. Please advise. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Kind Regards

Fran

11 REPLIES 11
gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,015 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,015Posts

912Kudos

636Solutions

Re: STP2

Hi @Fran_29 

See this Article about transitioning to Phase 2 under 'Before you begin' - there is a reference to Terminated Employees in the current payroll year. Basically you need to 'undo' the termination and then redo it, this then allows you to add code.

FYI Lumps Sum A - you mention Type T - you may want to check the details with your accountant or tax adviser. Unless an employee is made redundant, only unused annual leave that relates to pre 1993 service is reported as Lump Sum A. Unused annual leave since 18 Aug 1993 is simply included in Gross Income.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Fran_29
Contributing Cover User
14 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

14Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi gavin 12345,

Thanks for your reply.

The terminated employee is after 1993. It should be included Gross Income.

I have entered the unused annual leave as Lump sum A. 

Is there a way that I can change the pay from Lump sum A to Annual Leave and include as Gross Income.

Do I reverse the pay? Thank you

Kind Regards

Fran

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,015 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,015Posts

912Kudos

636Solutions

Hi @Fran_29 

Yes I think you will need to reverse the pay and re-enter it.  There are other ways but this is the safest.

I should clarify my comments re Lump Sum A etc. If the accrued leave relates to a period after Aug 1993, the amount is not Lump Sum A unless the termination is caused by things like genuine redundancy. This means that any payout on termination for accrued annual or LSL is simply included as part of the employee's income. There is no special tax treatment for this amount and it is taxed at the employee's marginal rates. So under Phase 1, most employers would use a payroll category such as Unused Holiday Pay in MYOB and assign this to Gross Payments for STP Reporting purposes. 

However, while not covered in the linked MYOB Article, Phase 2 requires a whole lot more detailed reporting when it comes to Leave. Any leave or leave related payments must be reported as a Leave Type and not included in the Gross Payments. This particularly affects terminated employees.

This is where things will get tricky for employers as you may need to create more specific payroll categories to accommodate the new reporting requirements. For example Unused Holiday Pay that is not Lump Sum A, needs to be assigned to 'Unused Leave on Termination'. However for genuine redundancy employees, Unused Holiday Pay needs to be assigned to Lump Sum A.

So some employers will need to create and use additional payroll categories, for example Unused Holiday Pay Regular and Unused Holiday Pay Redundancy. This will allow you to assign these to different reporting categories.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Fran_29
Contributing Cover User
14 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

14Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your reply.

I have changed the terminated employee- Unused Annual Leave to Unused Leave on Termination.

and did another update event. It still come with "accepted with errors"

It is asking for cessation reason code, which is Voluntary.

Could you please help and advise where to add the cessation reason code. It is getting so stressfull. Thank you

Kind Regards

Fran

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,015 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,015Posts

912Kudos

636Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Fran_29 

From here

1. Go to the Payroll command centre and click Payroll Reporting.
  2. Click Payroll Reporting Centre.
  3. If prompted, sign in using your MYOB account details (email address and password).
  4. Click the Employee terminations tab.
  5. Choose the applicable Payroll year and click Add Termination.
  6. Enter the termination details and click Notify the ATO.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Fran_29
Contributing Cover User
14 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

14Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks a lot Gavin.

It works this time.

Kind Regards

Fran

Deo1
Experienced User
22 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

22Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

What about adding areason to emplyees who are already terminated.

HelenHolman
Contributing User
16 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

16Posts

0Kudos

1Solutions

I also need to add cessation reason to already terminated employees.

BetsyNT
Experienced Partner
10 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

10Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Would have been very nice if we could do ALL of these.  My client's 5 terminations were all pre-STP2 they are now rejecting and this is an infurating waste of time.  The ATO have a lot to answer for with their micro-management of the payroll system.  They can darned well volunteer to do this themelves.  This is a 8th payroll error from various software I have spent hours fixing.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post