Analyse Sales Report doesn't match the P&L. Freight not included.

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Craig167
Contributing Partner
7 Posts
Contributing Partner
Contributing Partner

7Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Analyse Sales Report doesn't match the P&L. Freight not included.

My Analyse Sales report doesn't match the profit and loss report.

When I invoice freight to a customer, the freight amount is not included in Analyse Sales report, yet is is included in the sales total on the profit and loss.

I have been trying to find a multi-report sales report that either includes the freight or allows me to extract the freight on sales invoices.  The sales reports just don't match the debtors ledger.

I am essentially trying to see what each debtor is being invoiced each month.

Any suggestions or solutions?

6 REPLIES 6
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Analyse Sales Report doesn't match the P&L. Freight not included.

Hi @Craig167 

The Analyse reports in AccountRight look at specific values that have gone against a record. For example, if you are running the Analyse Sales [Item] report, it will look at the items added to the transaction. 

In relation to freight, if this is not added to the transaction as an item/activity it will not be included in the Analyse report for that type. The Analyse Sales [Customer] report will also not show that freight amounts as it's recorded outside of the customer's card history. So what you are describing with the freight not being included in those Analyse Sale reports is what I would expect to see from the program if you are using the freight field on the invoice. If you want to have those values included it would be a case of including those values as a freight item/activity (wouldn't be able to get it for the Analyse Sales[Customer] report.

Also, I don't think comparing the Analyse reports with the Profit and Loss reports will always balance. The Profit and Loss is reporting on values at an account balance (regardless of the type of transaction). Whereas those Analyse reports are doing it based on specific values (item or activities or customer) and would not include other values. For example, if you recorded a service layout invoice this would not impact the Analyse Sales [Item] or Analyse Sales [Activity] but would impact the Profit and Loss. Similar if you recorded a Receive Money or Journal entry involving an income account this would impact the Profit and loss but not those Analyse Sales reports.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Craig167
Contributing Partner
7 Posts
Contributing Partner
Contributing Partner

7Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven,

I understand your point, however I would expect a customers sales report to show how much I have invoiced to them for the period.  We do only use the sales module for sales and don't ever apply receive money to sales income, so our P&L should be a close check.

We apply a freight charge on most invoices now, so the amount is significant enough to be considered in our analysis.   I do have a freight item-code, that we use sometimes, linked to the freight income account and those sales get added in but the freight doesn't. (therefor some freight is included and some not)

I am seeking a customer sales report that tells me how much my customers have purchased from me on a monthly basis.  I would choose the Customer sales analysis report and expect it to show how much was charged. (plus/minus GST)

Is there any report that I can use?

Kind regards,

Craig

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @Craig167 

Thank you for sharing your additional feedback.

The customer card history information, which is what the Analyse Sales report will pull that information from, will not include that freight amount. This information, in theory, is designed to show what you have actually sold to the customer, as the freight is generally an on charge of the freight expense that is not included in that amount but would be included in the charges to the customer.

While it something that we may consider in the future, just testing previous versions of the software, it has done the same principle in earlier versions and thus not something we are looking at adding in the foreseeable future.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Craig167
Contributing Partner
7 Posts
Contributing Partner
Contributing Partner

7Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your explanation, and I understand the principle.  I will endeavour to put all of my freight above the line in future to avoid this problem.

I am attempting to identify what I have charged all of my debtors on a monthly basis.  Ideally, I want a report that I can manipulate in excel.  Is this possible? or can you offer any solution?

Regards,

Craig

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Craig167 

Apologies, I thought about this last night and there is actually a report you could look at using. Try the Sales [Customer Summary] report - Reports>>Sales>>Customer. By default, this report will show the Sales amount (less tax), the tax amount and the Current Balance. However, you can add in the Freight and Total amounts* to that report. 

While this particular report doesn't provide as clean a list of the total sales per customer for a period as the Analyse Sales [Customer] report, it does have a total per customer and also a grand total of the Sales amount and Tax (or can be sent to Excel for totalling other values).

*Insert/Modify tab>>Report Columns>>Show Hide

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Craig167
Contributing Partner
7 Posts
Contributing Partner
Contributing Partner

7Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your response.  I can work with your report suggestion.  It will be a little clumsy but we should be able to make that work.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Craig

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post