Overpayment by customer

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
colleenWatson
Partner
38 Posts
Partner
Australia

38Posts

37Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Overpayment by customer

A customer has paid me 3 times for the same invoice.  I can allocate the original payment and then the 1st overpayment against the invoice involved, but when they have paid it again I can not allocate it against the paid invoice again because it is no longer in the closed sales.  I do not have another invoice to allocate to/ or would not prefer to allocate to another invoice at this stage.  How do I overcome this.

2 REPLIES 2
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Overpayment by customer

Hi @colleenWatson 

AccountRight will only allow for a closed or open invoice or order to appear in the Receive Payments window. If an overpayment has been made on an invoice it would actually make that invoice a credit and thus not appear in that window.

Should you need to apply multiple payments to that credit invoice the process I would use is outlined below:

1. Delete the current payment on that invoice that made it a credit - Open the Recieve Payment transaction and select Edit>>Delete payment
  2. Process the individual payments as Recieve Money transactions with the Deposit to Account being the bank account and the Allocation Account being a holding bank account*
  3. Once recorded, do a Sales>>Receive Payment transaction with the Deposit to Account being the holding the account for the full amounts of those payments.

Holding bank account created via Accounts>>Accounts Lists>>New - give the account a number, name and set the account type to be Bank.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

colleenWatson
Partner
38 Posts
Partner
Australia

38Posts

37Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Overpayment by customer

Hi, thanks for that.  I gathered that is what I had to do.  It would be so much easier and quicker if we could still allocate the 3 overpayments to the same closed invoice.  It keeps the history together, and most of all it saves time.

Cheers

Col

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post