Using import to update details in cards

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Tania_F1
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Using import to update details in cards

I am installing a new MYOB add-on and need Customer IDs which have previously been blank. I tried to do an import to update this information with only the customer name and the new customer ID however when I imported a new duplicate customer was created instead of updating the existing one with the customer ID, even when I selected the update details option in the import. 

I had the same issue when trying to update employee details.

Is there a fix for this?

3 REPLIES 3
CloverQ
9,085 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

9,085Posts

0Kudos

1,386Solutions

Re: Using import to update details in cards

Hi @Tania_F1 

When importing cards into AccountRight, please be sure to select 'Update existing data' for duplicates. Then you can choose to match cards using Co./Last Name, Card ID or Record ID, which one did you select? Then when it comes to matching fields, please do double check to make sure there's no mis-match. 

It would be best to export the existing card list from AccountRight first with all fields ticked, then open it in Excel and use it as a template, update the field needed then save it back to a text file for import. This would minimise the chance of having wrong data or format. 

It's best to back up the company file before testing imports. Please feel free to let us know how you go.

Kind regards,
Clover

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search|Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Tania_F1
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Yes this is the process I followed

- Exported Data Co./Last Name and Card ID

- all the card IDs were *none

- I edited the excel file to include Card IDs

- then imported the file matching Co./Last Name and selected "update existing data"

- the result was a new card with the same Co./Last Name with the new Card ID and no update to the existing card

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,039 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,039Posts

919Kudos

640Solutions

Hi @Tania_F1 

Did this happen with some or all the imported entries? 

Eitherway this highlights the need to always do a backup before importing in MYOB as these often go awry.

If this happened with all, either MYOB's import has been broken or you may have imported as Suppliers instead of customers for example, or the names fields were not a complete match.

One suggestion,  when updating cards (whether customer supplier or employee) always use the RecordID to match, not the name. The name field is not unique as you can have 2 cards with exactly the same name, for example a customer and a supplier, or 2 customer cards. The Record ID is a unique field and should result in a 100% match.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post