Forum Discussion

2 months ago

SQL 2014 to 2019 Migration Utility on DC

Hi All,

MYOB has been pushing the upgrade to SQL Server 2019 with emails to the client fairly regularly, however I note that the download has been pulled from MYOB's download page a couple of times already.

Anyway, when executing the SQLServerUpgrade-V1.exe script, we get the following message:

Your environment isn't eligible for an SQL server upgrade due to the
following reasons:

You're using a domain controller

"For security reasons, we can’t install SQL Server 2019 on a domain controller. Contact your IT to remove the Domain controller server"

Now, I'm assuming this is non-negotiable, as SQL shouldn't be running on a DC anyhow.

But I would be interested to know if any other small accounting shops are in fact still running SQL Server on a DC and whether there are any potential shortcuts or workarounds to make the upgrade happen?

I'd rather not migrate MYOB or SQL to a whole new Server when it is currently performing reasonably well.

The installed version is MYOB AO by the way.

• Also a +1 on this. I attempted this update last night for a client (although it didn't fail, it seemed to freeze on the pre-requisite check, so I killed the task), and they are a small shop running on a single server that is a domain controller. And this is a pretty powerful box, with 32Gb of memory, a decent CPU, and enterprise-class SSDs. Separating out the DC is of course do-able, but it would involve major reconfigurations and lots of money for new hardware and/or Microsoft server licenses. 

So, is there any way around this from MYOB's end?

MikeG1
    MYOB Moderator

Hi ITWorx_NZ , sorry to leave you on read here!

I have been trying to hunt down some help/answers internally since your last comment on the 18th but have not had success yet.

I'll definitely keep on the case and hope to provide some information or answers soon.
    Should have replied earlier to let you know but I think I was hopeful to have the info before now!

• Not an answer to your question but +1. I would like know how many small shops are running the MYOBAO on a DC. My client only installed the previous version at the beginning of the year and nothing was mentioned then about SQL Server and a Domain Controller. I note that Microsoft only 'recommend' not installing on a DC. So presumably the Microsoft SQL Server installer DOES allow it.

• Hello? Can we get an admin/support person for a comment on this, please?

• Hi PaulDigitalD,

Apologies for a late response. I checked this and found that the issue is not with MYOB software but that MS SQL server 2019 doesn't work on DC. Here is the link from microsoft detailing this. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/571019/domain-controller-sql-server-2019

As advised before, MYOB is moving AO from SQL server 2014 to 2019 because Microsoft has stopped support for SQL 2014 and hence we cannot continue to use it for our software.

FYI - ITWorx_NZ and freedomit

Regards

Daljit

• Hi,

I can understand the position that MYOB is taking by following  the recommendations of Microsoft.

But, hypothetically, if the MYOB AO upgrade discovers that SQL Server 2019 is already installed, will it use it and carry on (essentially skipping the DC+SQL Server check)?

• Thanks for your reply.

However it's not that Microsoft prevent SQL2019 from running on a domain controller, they just don't recommend it, for security and a few other reasons.

Can you say at what point current installs of AO will no longer be usable without SQL2019?

This will also mean that single-box installs of Windows Server Essentials will no longer be suitable for any future versions of AO. Perhaps you could highlight that somewhere?