Partner Zone
Partner Zone

FBT on payment summary

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Experienced Cover User Tanialmm
75 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Tanialmm
Experienced Cover User

75Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

FBT on payment summary

The Reportable Fringe Benefit window (number 6 on Payment Summary Assistant) has an option of ticking a box to say that "Section 57A of the FBTAA 1986 applies to me"

It doesn't apply to me, so I haven't ticked the box.

However on the actual print out of the payment summary for an individual there are 2 boxes to be ticked either 'yes' or 'no' but neither is ticked (or a cross put in).

Does this matter? or is this a glitch that MYOB needs to rectifiy?

Many thanks

Tania

7 REPLIES 7
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
31,099 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

31099Posts

3931Kudos

4528Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Re: FBT on payment summary

Hi @Tanialmm

The "Is the employer exempt from FBT under section 57A of the FBTAA 1986?" option on a produced payment summary does have the option for No or Yes. These options will only become applicable once a fringe benefit has been entered and depending on what option has been selected for  "Section 57A of the FBTAA 1986 applies to me" in the Reportable Fringe Benefit step of the Payment Summary Assistant. 

If no fringe benefit has been reported the "Is the employer exempt from FBT under section 57A of the FBTAA 1986?" option will be blank.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

75 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Tanialmm
Experienced Cover User

75Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you for confirming that Steven.

Another question - if the "Is the employer exempt from FBT under section 57A of the FBTAA 1986?"

does not appear on a payment summary at all (and there being no FBT to be reported at all) - does this matter to the tax office or do all 2017 payment summaries require this to be on the payment summary whether there is FBT reported or not?

Sorry - this is in relation to another company file that may not have been updated with the last update but where no other figures are compromised.

Many thanks.

Experienced Cover User WendyE
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User
WendyE
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

I too am having this problem.  None of our employees have any FBT.   All the PAYG Payment Summary have both the the "Is the employer exempt from FBT under section 57A of the FBTAA1986" boxes blank.  Does one of them need to be ticked?  How do I tick this?  We are not exempt, we simply do not have any FBT, so which box should be ticked?  Will the ATO accept the Payment Summary with neither box ticked?

75 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Tanialmm
Experienced Cover User

75Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Having spent over an hour on the phone to MYOB support, I was told that if you have no FBT to report then these boxes are both just kept blank.

Also, Steven's answer above confirms this.

It doesn't really seem to make sense but there you have it.

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
31,099 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

31099Posts

3931Kudos

4528Solutions

Hi @Tanialmm & @WendyE

Just to confirm what I have said above in regards to if you don't have a fringe benefit to report you should leave the option blank. This is the section from the ATO website: PAYG Payment Summaries Individual Non-Business Section B: Payment details in relation to this - highlighted the relevant information.

Is the employer exempt from FBT under section 57A of the FBTAA 1986?

The Government has changed the way reportable fringe benefits amounts are treated for family assistance and youth income support payments. This in turn has changed how you show these benefits on your employees' payment summary forms.

On the payment summary form, for the reportable fringe benefits amount entered, you will see a Yes and No indicator box as follows:

Example of the field 'Is the employer exempt from FBT under section 57A of the FBTAA 1986?'.

• Select Yes if you are eligible for exemption from fringe benefits tax (FBT) under section 57A of the Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986 (FBTAA 1986) for the benefits provided as a:
    • registered public benevolent institution that is endorsed by the Commissioner of Taxation as eligible for exemption from FBT
    • government body and the employee's duties are exclusively performed in or in connection with:
      • a public hospital, or
      • a hospital carried on by a society or association that is a rebatable employer

• registered health promotion charity that is endorsed by the Commissioner of Taxation as eligible for exemption from FBT, or
    • public ambulance service and the employee is predominantly involved in providing that service.

Otherwise select No.

If you do not have any reportable fringe benefits amount to report, leave both boxes blank. 

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

MICWA
2 Posts
Cover User
Australia
MICWA
Cover User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi there,

In regards to Stephen's post here, I have the issue that I have been informed that I should have ticked Yes to exemption under 57A, but I don't think I did (but I am not actually sure).  No reference shows on the payment summaries at all (no mention of yes or no).

I have two questions: How can I be sure whether I said Yes or No - does no mention on the physical payment summaries mean I said no?

If I said no I now need to go back and reissue the payment summaries to make it yes - do I now go back and reopen the last payroll year and do the payment summary process again?  Do I just reopen it, or do I have to do a restore - in which case does that have implications on other areas of MYOB?

Thanks, Rosanne

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,688 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2688Posts

2049Kudos

385Solutions

Hi @MICWA

If you used AR2017.1.1 or v19.14 to generate your payment summaries, then there should a Yes and a No Box under RFBT field - there should also be a Type field next to Gross Payments - see below:

snap18.jpg

If your payment summaries do not show these boxes, then you did not use the correct version of MYOB when generating the payment summaries and this suggests you did not tick yes or no.

To redo payment summaries or to prepare and lodge amended payment summaries you would need to either restore a backup of your MYOB file just before you closed the 2016/17 payroll year OR use a program like EMPDUPE Maker which will allow you to open your existing EMPDUPE file, see if there was a yes/no for RFBT and if necessary amend the payment summaries and EMPDUPE file.

If restoring a backup, take care not to override your current file. Also you will need to upgrade to AR2017.1.1 or v19.14 before creating the new payment summaries. AR2017.1.1 will allow you to make amended payment summaries, however I don't think v19.14 allows this.

Amended payment summaries are required if the original empdupe file has been lodged with the ATO.

Once done, make a backup and then delete this restored file. Go back to using the current file, otherwise you will need to re-eneter everything since the restored file was created.

Regards

Gavin

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post