What does 'Account' mean when creating a bill?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
kayu-pete
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

What does 'Account' mean when creating a bill?

Hi, I've just signed up for myob so learning a fair bit.

I've purchased some adhesive from Bunnings and I'm recording the expense. I classify my adhesive as 'Consumables'. I paid for this from my 'Business Bank Account'

So, I click 'Create bill' and I input the Supplier (Bunnings), Description (Adhesive), Amount ($300), etc.

There is a column/field for 'Account'. Do I enter 'Business Bank Account' as this is where the payment came from? Or do I enter 'Consumables' as this is the type of transaction/purchase I've made?

My thinking...

• If I enter 'Business Bank Account' so I know/record where the payment came from, how do I know how much I've spent on 'Consumables'?
  • Conversely, if I enter 'Consumables' I'll know how much I've spent on consumables but I won't know where the payment was made from and my 'Business Bank Account' balance will be affected/incorrect...

Thanks very much,

Pete

1 REPLY 1
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: What does 'Account' mean when creating a bill?

@kayu-pete 

Hi Pete

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forum. Before we get to creating a bill, we'll go back a step to setting up the linked accounts. If you click on Accounting>>Manage linked accounts you can select the default bank account for bill payments. You would also select the liability account for tracking payables.

la.PNG

Create bills is just recording the invoice, the payment is recorded through Create supplier payment. So when you enter a Create bills transaction you select the applicable expense/cost of sales account in the Account column. When the transaction is recorded the expense/cost of sales account is debited and the liability account for tracking payables is automatically credited. 

When you record the Create supplier payment transaction the liability account for tracking payables is debited, so the liability is cleared. The bank account field will prefill with the account selected in the Manage linked accounts window or you can change it to another account if required. The bank account will be credited which appears as a withdrawal in Bank transactions/Reconcile accounts.

What you end up with is a debit to the expense/cost of sales account and a credit (withdrawal) to the bank account.

Create bills is typically used for supplier purchases. For one-off expenses or things like utility bills, your other option is to record Banking>>Spend money transactions. You'll end up with the same journal (debit expense account, credit bank account) but you'll only have to record one transaction.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post