Forum Discussion

Margriet
Experienced Cover User
4 years ago
Solved

How do I make journal entry to record interest on bank loan

How do I make journal entry to record interest on bank loan? The monthly payments are recorded in "banking" but that does not reconcile the liability account that I have created for the loan.

• Apologies - posted b4 I was ready.

Loan account        Debit $800

Interest Expense    Debit $200

Cheque Accounrt  Credit $1,000

With a table mortgate the split between repayment on the loan account and interest will change with each payment , so these need editing every payment.

I use recurring journals for splitting things such as phone/internet between business/personal as well as receipts where there multiple splits and an invoce was no previously issued.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    jenniek
    Ultimate Partner

Hi Margriet 

Change the loan liability account to a credit card type - then you can process transactions against it and reconcile it like a bank account. Otherwise you would need to record a journal entry (DR & CR) in Accounts.

Margriet
      Experienced Cover User

Hi Jennie,

Thanks for your reply. As payments come out of my cheque account, I would have to record DR/CR journal entries. But how would I structure those?

Kind regards,

Margriet

redmx
        Experienced User

For splitting payments such as this I often set up a recurring journal , which I can then easily edit if the amounts change.

For your scenario the journal would have three lines.  If for example the loan payment was for $1,000 , comprising $200 interest and $800 principle (loan repayment) than.

Debit Loan Account  $800