Forum Discussion

IPAAWA
User
10 months ago

Can employee buy a device from a private person if they want to Salary Sacrifice?

Hi,

We have a staff member who asked if he can buy a friend's laptop and be reimbursed for it under a salary sacrifice arrangement.

Are purchases from private people (no ABN) allowed?

Thank you.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi, IPAAWA 

Thanks for your post. 

If an employee needs to purchase items such as a laptop, a deduction from their salary will be processed. Repayments for the laptop are then deducted from the employee's pay until the laptop is paid in full. For further information on how to do this, please see The Help Article: Salary sacrificing.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance. We are happy to assist.

Best regards,

Doreen

IPAAWA
      User

Hi Doreen,

Thank you for your reply. However, it did not answer my question. I know how Salary Sacrifice works. My question was:

Can you buy a secondhand device from a friend and claim it from your employer as a salary sacrifice purchase? My question relates to record-keeping and that in buying from social media market place, or a friend, will not provide the employer with a tax invoice or receipt.

Kind regards,

Charlien

Doreen_P
        MYOB Moderator

Hi, IPAAWA 

Please be informed that we will be closing the thread now. Feel free to post again if you encounter any further issues and one of the MYOB Moderators will attend to it.

Best regards,

Doreen

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi, IPAAWA 

Thanks for your response. 

Since we are not permitted to provide any financial advice, we also recommend speaking with your accountant or financial advisor so they can provide you with more information on how to record it on the system. 

Best regards,

Doreen