Forum Discussion

WildReign1
Contributing User
6 months ago
Solved

Customer Return - How to bank match transaction

Hi, Im really hoping someone can please help! 

I am processing a customer return, I have followed the help instructions to create and refund a credit note, but how do we match that to the bank transaction for the refund, its not coming up as being able to match, I have tried before I hit refund on the credit note and it wasnt an option to match to the bank transaction so i tried to process it but now im just as confused!

Earl_HD
    6 months ago

Hi WildReign1,

Thank you for getting back to us and providing an update. 

My apologies for the late response. When processing an invoice and applying a payment, if there are no open invoices for a particular customer, you won't be able to generate a payment. To resolve this, create an invoice for the customer, enabling you to process their payment through 'Sales' >> 'Take Payment' or other applicable payment entry methods. This action will result in a customer return, allowing you to either refund or apply it to an invoice payment in your Bank Account section, where you can match it with your bank feed transaction. Notably, the invoice used for these payments technically registers as '0.00' income since no revenue is associated with that invoice

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help!
    Regards,
    Earl

4 Replies

Celia_B
    MYOB Moderator

Hi WildReign1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum. 

I understand that you have processed a customer return, and you are unable to match it to the bank transaction. In this matter, May I know the process that you took when you were trying to process a return? When processing a return, you will need to create a negative invoice (an invoice where the total amount is a negative value). Then you can apply for the return to an unpaid invoice or issue a refund. For more information, you can check out this Help Article: Creating customer returns.  

If you need further assistance with this, or if you have questions and concerns, please feel free to create a new post and one of our moderators will attend to it. 

If my response has answered your enquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Kind Regards, 

Cel

WildReign1
      Contributing User

Hi - thanks so much for your response. 

I have created a negative invoice for the transaction, and this created a credit note. 

I tried to go into my bank transactions to match the credit note to the transaction we refunded this person, but it wasnt showing, so i processed the refund in the customer return screen but it still isnt showing anything to match against the bank transaction and now im not sure the best way to allocate this transaction

Appreciate your help! 

Earl_HD
        MYOB Moderator

Hi WildReign1,

Thank you for getting back to us and providing an update. 

My apologies for the late response. When processing an invoice and applying a payment, if there are no open invoices for a particular customer, you won't be able to generate a payment. To resolve this, create an invoice for the customer, enabling you to process their payment through 'Sales' >> 'Take Payment' or other applicable payment entry methods. This action will result in a customer return, allowing you to either refund or apply it to an invoice payment in your Bank Account section, where you can match it with your bank feed transaction. Notably, the invoice used for these payments technically registers as '0.00' income since no revenue is associated with that invoice

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help!
        Regards,
        Earl