Forum Discussion

Denise123
Contributing Cover User
2 years ago
Solved

multiple credit card amounts paid from bank account

My Credit card gets paid from the business account automatically every month. Normally this is easy to allocate, as I use the Transfer option in one entry and MYOB finds the matching entry from the other.  Once a year I get charged a $75 credit card fee which gets itemised separately in the credit card account, but bundled into the amount paid by the business account.  See attachment.  How do I fix it so I don't get double entries?

• Hi Denise

When you transfer the money from the cheque acc to the credit card the transaction is 

CR Bank 

DR  CC

So the transaction for the payment of the credit card should just be able to be matched in your bank feeds and then the bank account and credit card reconciled

So on this screen shot the first transaction looks like it is the payment to clear the credit card so the allocation will be 2-XXXX Credit card account

The next two transactions you would allocate to your expense accounts as usual

To make this clearer for you if you changed the view to the different accounts you would see which transaction applies to which bank.

The payment that comes across to the credit card may take another day or two to come across and can then be reconciled by matching the cheque payment 

You won't be able to match these two transactions against the payment as 

- you aren't paying these payments you are actually paying the credit card and these transactions make up that balance.

- you can't allocate them as they are different bank accounts

Hope that clarifies for you, make sure you reconcile the account in case there are some doubled up entries

Hope this is useful

Lisa

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    LRBooks61
    Ultimate Cover User

Hi

allocate the card fee to bank charges and then the transfer is just the transfer from your bank account to credit card

You should be allocating all the spending from your credit card to the appropriate general ledger account and the payment as a transfer from your bank account

hope that helps

Lisa

Denise123
      Contributing Cover User

Thank you for your reply but it doesn't answer my specific question.  I am already allocating all CC expenses to their respective general ledger category, and I have done the same for the actual credit card fee. 

Recording the transfer of funds from the Business a/c to pay the CC debt is easy for 11 months as both entries are for an identical amount which MYOB finds and reconciles when I select one and use the Transfer option.  My problem is that when the credit card fee is paid in June it is itemised as a separate amount to the rest of the CC debt.  So MYOB should be finding two entries that add up to the total that has been taken from the Business account.  From experience if I create a manual transfer it gives me double entries that confuses me no end.

MYOB can find multiple invoices paid to us in one cheque, so why can't it do the same thing with this problem?

LRBooks61
        Ultimate Cover User

Hi Denise

When you transfer the money from the cheque acc to the credit card the transaction is 

CR Bank 

DR  CC

So the transaction for the payment of the credit card should just be able to be matched in your bank feeds and then the bank account and credit card reconciled

So on this screen shot the first transaction looks like it is the payment to clear the credit card so the allocation will be 2-XXXX Credit card account

The next two transactions you would allocate to your expense accounts as usual

To make this clearer for you if you changed the view to the different accounts you would see which transaction applies to which bank.

The payment that comes across to the credit card may take another day or two to come across and can then be reconciled by matching the cheque payment 

You won't be able to match these two transactions against the payment as 

- you aren't paying these payments you are actually paying the credit card and these transactions make up that balance.

- you can't allocate them as they are different bank accounts

Hope that clarifies for you, make sure you reconcile the account in case there are some doubled up entries

Hope this is useful

Lisa