Forum Discussion

ann75
Experienced User
2 years ago

correct error after finalisaiton report

Hi , One of our employees informed us that while he was filing his taxes for 21-22, he noticed an error in the finalisation report sent from employer. What has happned is for June 2022 payrun, he asked for about $5550 be directed to his super as salary sacrifice. This was done and is reflected in his super account, but by mistake, the deduction was shown as as post tax deduction whereas it should have been a pre tax deduction. So the gross payments for the year includes this $5000 and tax was calculated on the same. this 5000 should have been ideally deducted and then tax calculated.

How do we correct this mistake? Can we send finalisation report again? 

The employee has been over taxed, but that I reckon can paid back by ATO as a refund. But how do we show the salary sacrifice as pre tax? all the employee wants is a finalisation report with the correct gross figures. Can we delete the payrun and redo?But there is an amount already allocated to this payroll. So how do I redo this payrun without changing the net pay? Can i do another payrun byt just manually adjusting the gross payment and showing super as a pre tax deduction without touching the net pay so it doesnt mess with the allocation alreayd done in June. I have attached the payslip here. ideally the gross payments should have been less the super sacrifice.

Appreciate if someone could  help/advise on what can be done. Thanks

• Hi ann75 

Sorry to see that no one has replied to you yet. When you finalise an employee, you're telling the ATO that your payroll reporting is complete for the payroll year. If a mistake is made you will need to send another report indicating as such. 

To change an employee's pay after finalising, you need to first indicate to the ATO that you are making an amendment by undoing the finalisation. Then after undoing you can make the adjustment as an adjustment pay, or reverse and re-enter the original pay run. After that is reported, you would go back and re-finalise the employee.

These Help Articles have detailed information and instructions on how to do this:

Hope that helps.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

SamaraM
    Former Staff

Hi ann75 

Sorry to see that no one has replied to you yet. When you finalise an employee, you're telling the ATO that your payroll reporting is complete for the payroll year. If a mistake is made you will need to send another report indicating as such. 

To change an employee's pay after finalising, you need to first indicate to the ATO that you are making an amendment by undoing the finalisation. Then after undoing you can make the adjustment as an adjustment pay, or reverse and re-enter the original pay run. After that is reported, you would go back and re-finalise the employee.

These Help Articles have detailed information and instructions on how to do this:

Hope that helps.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

ann75
      Experienced User

Thanks very much for your reply Samara. Yes I have resolved the issue.