Forum Discussion

2 months ago

Supplier Returns

I am having trouble returning products to our supplier due the the average costing that MYOB uses. It won't allow me to have a negative cost. How do I return product at the price I was supplied?

6 Replies

Mike_James
    Ultimate Partner

Hi Jessie2011 , assuming you use AccountRight, the problem is not the average costing, it's that the return is added back to stock at 10% higher cost, incorrectly. So the only way to get the return posted is to record an Inventory adjustment first to add that extra cost. You might need to start the credit,then check the recap screen (Edit, recap), which may show you the cost being used.

Earl_HD
      MYOB Moderator

Hi Jessie2011,

I agree with Mike_James' suggestion. Additionally, by adjusting the inventory and creating a credit note, you ensure that MYOB reflects the product return accurately. The key is to handle the inventory adjustment first and then create a credit note that matches the original purchase cost.

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help!

Regards,
      Earl

Jessie2011
        User

Not sure why I would "adjust the inventory" and I am trying to create a credit note that is the issue. I am returning all the inventory which is correct following a stock take. Confused sorry

• Not sure why you mean stock is added back incorrectly at 10%? I'm not adding anything back trying to send it to the supplier. I am simply talking about returning all my stock to the supplier at the price I paid them. The average costing, due to whatever reason, now is at a lower cost than the purchase price that seems to be the issue. I followed the MYOB Help which was to raise a Bill with negative quantities, when I go to "record' I get an Error Message "Processing this purchase would leave the item with no items on hand and a non-zero value in inventory". I am unable to proceed any further. This should be a simple process. I'm not an accountant but would think that trying to tweak the cost surely affects P&L with mythical values? Besides I need the Return to reflect actual price paid to the supplier. 

Mike_James
      Ultimate Partner

Hi Jessie2011 , since you are returning all the book stock, you will need to adjust the value of your stock to match the value of the return. And if I am right about the program fault I mentioned, you'll need to adjust that value to be 10% higher.