Forum Discussion

SoniS
User
4 months ago

Cannot delete liability account

Hi,

I have created a duplicate credit card liability account in error and now want to delete it.  It has no transactions attached to it, however it won't let me delete.  Error message 'An account with journal entries may not be deleted.'  I have run my journal report and transaction reports and cannot find an entry to this account.  Where can I find the journal entry, and how can I then delete the account?

Many thanks,

Soni

4 Replies

Earl_HD
    MYOB Moderator

Hi SoniS,

Thanks for your post. If you encounter this error, merging accounts could be a helpful solution (combine accounts). For instance, if you have two bank accounts and an inventory account that are no longer needed and are inactive, consider combining them into one. This way, you'll only have one unused account in your list instead of three.

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help!

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards,
    Earl

SoniS
      User

Thank you for your suggestion.

Is there a reason why I cannot delete the account, given it has no transactions?

I have no other accounts to merge and I am stumped as to why I cannot just delete this one so that there is no confusion in my ledger.  

Soni

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi SoniS,

Thanks for your response.

Accounts cannot be deleted if there are transactions entered. In your case, if the account was never used and no transactions were entered, you can make the account inactive to remove it from the Accounts List. You can also check the Help Article: Deleting an account for more information on how to do this.

Feel free to post again anytime if you require further assistance. 

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information.

Best regards,

Doreen

gavin12345
      Ultimate User

Hi SoniS 

One reason an account cannot be deleted - while the account might not have any transactions at present, it may have at some point in time (since deleted). MYOB tracks accounts that have been used for the Journal Security Report. If there is an entry for the account here, this means the account has been used and cannot therefore be deleted. 

Regards

Gavin