- We have just
converted over to MYOB from Quickbooks. We are disapointed with the
quote/convert to invoice system. In Quickbooks we could convert a % of the
quote or certain items on the quote. We could then go back in at a later date
and invoice the amount remaining from the quote to be invoiced. We also use
rather long descriptions in our study descriptions and MYOB does not allow
enough characters for this in the description box. These are quite basic
functions offered by Quickbooks and I believe should be in MYOB. I am sure many
businesses would want a % payment prior to starting a job?

"% invoices - progressive invoicing"

73 Comments

Anza
    Experienced Cover User

For the construction industry getting paid a percentage of work completed is a given. If you could have a quote converted to an invoice, that has the ability for each description, to have a percentage allocated and the remainder carried over until all percentages are complete. This would save me from having to keep a log of invoices and the amounts owing which defeats the purpose of purchasing an accounting program. 

For the description line could you make the characters available from 255 to unlimited. Having to stop and adjust until the line matches up with the next description box is a bit annoying and is not saving any time.

Both of these items are making more work for my accounting needs and are increasing my time greatly for basic data entry.

TonyLane
      Ultimate Cover User

Hi Aaron, Anza 

The idea you have suggested already exists it can be located this link % Invoices (% Complete Invoices & Field Length) and there is this new idea Invoice Description Field Size (Field Length minimum of 500 characters).  Also there is this one Purchases Item description field now shows only one line which seeks to address the fact that when a description is being typed by the user, only one line is visible to the user whereas in the Classic versions 4 lines were visible.

Please review, comment and vote for those ideas as you see fit; we are constantly being told that 'New Ideas' will not be implemented unless they have a sufficient number of votes (?) to warrant their implementation.

Thank you.

Best Regards
      Tony Lane - Penguin - Tasmania

• Hi All,

When a sales order is created and turned into an invoice, there are no options of invoicing part of the order.

Example

Order for $2,000 is entered into the system. We then want to invoice $1,000 in Feb. After this transaction, the order remains open with a balance of $1,000. We then invoice the balance of $1,000 in Mar.

Currently, when you enter the order and turn it into an invoice, the order automatically changes to the invoice amount and then closes instead of remaining open with the balance.

Is this something you could look at incorporating into the system?

Cheers

Steven_M
      Former Staff

HI GASCOIGNE 

The error logs are sent directly to the program developers to collate and to have a look at to decide on what key features of the program need further investigating. As such I haven't managed to obtain those error logs. If you would like to supply one of the error logs and when exactly does the error message occurs so the MYOB Community can assist with those errors.

GASCOIGNE
      Experienced Cover User

Hi Steve

There was no errors in entry, these supposedly errors have been emailed to MYOB many times previously.  If you can check our log you can see them.  I dont see the need to resend the emails if they are reocurrings.

Regards

Steven_M
      Former Staff

Hi GASCOIGNE 

Currently it not possible to turn off error pop ups. Generally if an error message appears it is because there is an error or something impact on the transaction that would not allow you to record the transaction. 

I see that you haven't actually provided that error, if we could have that error it would be appreciated.

• Status changed:
    New
    to
    Open
    Thank you for your suggestion vhr, the option to convert only part of an Order into an Invoice. Other members of the community that would like to see this added, please do remember to vote and comment.
    Will_H
    MYOB Moderator

Hi VHR,
    I'm from the client support team, and I thought I'd offer what guidance I could for your issues, though I'll leave your idea in the Ideas Exchange so the Developers can provide full commentary on including these features at a later point.

There is a limit to the amount of text that can be entered into a single description in AccountRight, however we do have methods to add additional lines.  These are:
    Right clicking and choosing "Insert Blank Line"
    Edit menu > Insert Blank Line

Pressing the shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + L"
    This allows you to enter more information, without having a $0 line appear, so that you can show additional information to a client/customer.

Regarding charging just a partial amount for a Quote converting to an Invoice, I recommend a process such as:
    1) Make sure the preferences are set to keep quotes when you convert to Invoices:
    Setup menu > Preferences > Sales tab. Do not tick the box "Delete Quotes upon Changing to and Recording as an Order or Invoice [System-Wide]"

2) When you convert the quote, add another line to the end of the invoice:
    Less XX% not yet due.
    And subtract the corresponding amount from the total amount on that line.  An example is:
    Quote for $10,000
    Convert to Invoice

Add a new line for "Less 90% not due until November 2013" -$9000
    This lets you control exactly how much is billed out, though I appreciate it is a manual process.

Regards,
    Will H - MYOB Client Support.

Barkel
    Experienced Cover User

Another suggestion originally made several years ago..

MYOB needs to developa prepayments option whereby you can spread the expense of an invoice over several months.  It would need to include how many months to spread it over and an option of when to start the allocation

EG Insurance bills could be spread over 12 months

This could also include the ability to "delay" the expense of an invoice to a certian month.

For example we have posters and advertising printed for special events (eg Melbourne Cup)  these are ususally organised and invoiced in September / October however we want to allocate the expense to November when Melbourne Cup is actually held.

Presently all of the functions are handled through a spreadsheet that needs to be journalled each month - this process should and hopefully could be easily automated.

Rebecca12345
      Experienced Cover User

yes i agree with the option of allocating the expense of an invoice to a different date as the invoice date.   Instead i have to change the date of the invoice just to allocate the expense to the correct month.  For example when we get invoiced for our rent in the month prior, or if i receive an invoice dated in a period that has already been closed off.