Forum Discussion

KevinR
Trusted Cover User
2 years ago

GST report showing an expense refund as a sale amount

all you wonderful people,

I recorded a receive money transaction for an amount which we received from RACV insurance. 

When I was running gst report, found sales figure differed from p&l (and sales register total). When investigating found that amount received from the insurance is considered a sales amount in MYOB GST report. 

Obviously this a negative expense rather than a sales and BAS sales figures will not be correct.

Is this a bug in myob accountright? or should there be any other way this should be recorded? 

(As a temporary fix I created a journal entry (as a purchase) with -ve CR to bank account and -ve DR to the expenses and this works fine. A -ve spend money transaction also works fine).

Any thoughts is appreciated.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CloverQ
    Former Staff

Hi KevinR 

Typically Receive Money transactions will be included in the sales side, since this is a expense refund, you can either reverse the original payment transaction or follow the Supplier returns, debits and refunds route, so the refund will be correctly picked up in reports. 

I hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.