Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Purge: Items

Cover User

6Posts

51Kudos

0Solutions

6 Posts
Cover User
Australia

Hi,

Needing to delete about 3,500 inventory items that have not been used in over 7 years (do not have anything in the history tab on these items) Can a feature be added in an upgrade to enable removal of old items rather than just marking them inactive.

Thanks

Brad

Edited by @Will_H to make subject more in line with Idea.

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: October 2013

Thank you for the clarification Brad, I think what you're asking for here, is the ability to remove items which have history attached, so adding a "remove anyway" option to the delete item warnings. If you need further assistance troubleshooting a problem around iitem deletion, please use your original thread in the AccountRight forum. If you like Brad's idea of adding an override to delete items with a history attached, please vote for this idea, or give us your own ideas for this by adding comments here.

18 Comments
Will_H
MYOB Moderator
2,590 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Thanks for the idea Brad, we do already have a removal option from the Items List if you open an item and then use the Edit menu > Delete Item option, though this is only available for items that no longer have any transactions or history entered against them, and it must be done one-by-one. How would you like deleting items to work? Do you want the ability to delete mutliple at once? A setting to delete all items not in use? If any users with an interest in this idea could give their feedback it would help us include more options in future.
bradbill1
6 Posts
Cover User

Hi,

Yes i realise that option is there. It is for items that have not been used in at least 7 years.

There is nothing in the history tab for purchases or sales, but assume it is in the sales or purchases history somewhere. Is there something I can untick when I purge as at 30/6/14 that may help?

Brad

Will_H
MYOB Moderator
2,590 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Thank you for the clarification Brad, I think what you're asking for here, is the ability to remove items which have history attached, so adding a "remove anyway" option to the delete item warnings. If you need further assistance troubleshooting a problem around iitem deletion, please use your original thread in the AccountRight forum. If you like Brad's idea of adding an override to delete items with a history attached, please vote for this idea, or give us your own ideas for this by adding comments here.
Nic-acc-addons
Super Partner
507 Posts
Super Partner

Hi Brad,

Fist off, backup your database before attempting these steps.

You should be able to purge old transactions. Purging works based on the tab you are in, so you will need to be inthe Command Center and go through all tabs (Accounts, Banking,Sales, Purchases, etc.) to ensure all old transactions are purged.

In layman's term, go to Accounts, then File\Purge. Then go to Banking, then File\Purge, etc.

Once you have done this, you should be able to delete the items you wish.

Finally, we at Accounting Addons have a process to delete customers, suppliers (and i believe Items) in bulk. It essentially sends the keystrokes for you to MYOB. IF you are interested, visit our website at http://accountingaddons.com.au

Best of luck.

Nic

bradbill1
6 Posts
Cover User

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the assistance.

Tried that option (you only seem to be able to purge in sales and purchases)

Purged in full closed purchases and sales but alas still no luck.

Main reason I am trying to cull it as it works with our ecommerce store and bogs it down too much with 9,000 items.

Thanks anyway for your help Smiley Happy

Brad

ASWatCR
Partner
243 Posts
Partner

I agree,it seems crazy we can't delete such old items. An override message could work ok.

Renske
2 Posts
Cover User

Hi,

I'm going to suggest there will be a option to delete inventory items that are older than taxation requirements to keep them,(5 years), despite them having transactions recorded against them.

It seems illogical that items 5+ years cannot be deleted eventhough MYOB is used by a lot of small businesses selling products as a wholesaler. My inventory changes constantly, as I'm sure happens for a lot of wholesalers.

We need an option to bulk delete so we can keep the inventory clean. I have 32 pages of inventory, of which 25 at least are older than 5 years,

MrsFerret
2 Posts
Cover User

Need a way to stop items such as payroll categories and activities, to not be listed on the drop down menus if the item is marked as inactive.  If you don't want to delete it, than the only option at present is to put a "z" in the front of the item, which pushes it to the bottom of the drop down menu listing and as out of the way as much as possible in the existing system.

dyann
Experienced Cover User
111 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I think this general idea of being able to purge old items comes up quite a lot under different headings, it is a shame myob cannot place them all together - I'm sure the total votes would be worthy of the change.  From experience being unable to purge data has made back-ups well nigh impossible and slows everything down

RKJ
4 Posts
Cover User

Deleting obsolete inventory items is time consuming, and in most of our cases cannot be done.  
We would like to get rid of thousands of items we no longer have and do not use, but in most cases the program will not allow the action, usually saying that there is records of transactions preventing the deletion.

Can a feature be added which allows administrator to quickly and permanently delete items, and transfer any monetary values attached to the item to a user designated cost of goods sold or expense account?  

Our inventory has an obsolete parts percentage of over 80%.

Thank you