Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Search: Ability to search for partial item description

3Posts

24Kudos

0Solutions

3 Posts
User

We are a small business with a large volume of SKUs, and approximately 30,000 line items. We can't remember all the product descriptions so the ability to search within a description string is quite essential. Xero and Sassu both search the entire description whereas MYOB requires you to enter the exact description. This is a real pain to generate item based invoices.

For example:

Product Description: Dark Blue Shirt

For MYOB you must search: "Dark" to bring this item up as an option, whereas you should be able to search for "blue".

MYOB retailmanager allows asterisk and question mark wildcard operators (ie *blue*) to search for a string within a string. At the very least Accountright should be able to offer this search functionality. I can't image it would be difficult.

The same search functionality would be useful for Customer, supplier and pretty much any other searchable field.

We will not be able to migrate invoicing to MYOB until this feature is enable or a suitable work-around (ie wildcards) is provided.

"Improved search functionality for searching within item description"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: December 2016

Hi Everyone

Thank you for voting for this idea

I'm pleased to announce with the release of AccountRight 2016.3 comes a new way to search and select items for your Sales, Purchases and Inventory Windows. This allows for the user to search for item number and name, even bring a list up of all items that contain a series of characters in the name/number i.e.

Attachments.PNG

You can find more information into this feature and how to obtain the update on AccountRight 2016.3 now available

42 Comments
Snoogan
3 Posts
User

I am after the exact same feature as requested here.  To be able to type in part of a item code or description would make it A LOT easier for me and staff to be able to invoice customers.  I have played with Xero and SAASU and they have this feature.  I'm on the verge of swapping ships, but would rather stay with MYOB if they can add this feature.  I'm currently using MYOB Premier v19.5

SimonM1981
Experienced Cover User
51 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi Snoogan

Since my last post.....I have discovered something which helps A LOT.  I have version 2014 something arather in Account Right Plus.  In the Inventory section click on Items List.   I have the page open on the side of when I do an invoice then you can you the search off the Items List which will give you the code you need to enter in the invoice.  Not sure if your version has this option, but for me it is saving a  LOT of time.  If I type "Red" into the search bar in Item List it will bring up EVERY item with Red in it.  The only trouble is you have to be direct with what you are searching because if you put "Red Laces" it might not find what you are looking for if the description on the product is "Red Shoe Laces".  You would then need to type "Red Shoe" to find that product.   Its not perfect, but it helps a lot.  If it could be within the invoicing section itself it would be a HUGE improvement to MYOB.

Anyhow...hope this helps.

Simon

mit78c
4 Posts
Cover User

Hi

I agree and the problem with this is that there are plenty of people who want this function but are all explaining it differently.

please MYOB scan the requests and collaborate these ideas.

I too am frustrated with the inability to search an already added item at the invoice stage, by having to remember how the added item starts on its description.

By wild carding or autofilling the search there would be countless hours saved

The autofill function works elsewhere in the system ie lists>items> search , bank register.

There was a reply to a similar post stating that it would take too long to search the list, bollocks as mentioned its implemented elsewhere in the system.

please help 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @mit78c

Thank you for your comments and feedback in regards to AccountRight

I have merged the particular idea generated by @DOSmith to this idea on the AccountRight Idea Exchange. 

Once again thank you for your comments I have shared them with the team.

JohnNicol
Experienced Partner
13 Posts
Experienced Partner

At present you can search the inventory list by name

e.g. rust paint and it comes up if the item name begins with rust etc

However, I would like to list in the search all items with rust paint in the name

e.g. Orange rust paint

Galvanised rust paint marker

The list would display any item name that has rust paint in the item name

John Nicol

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your comments and voting for this idea.

I'm pleased to announce that we are in development of an exciting feature in AccountRight that will improve on the searching capabilities of items.

More details into this feature and how to obtain that update will be available closer to release.

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

@Steven_M

Hi Steven,

In Bank Feeds will we be able o search by invoice number when allocating a payment from a customer? 

That would be useful.

Alan

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @AlanT

The exciting new feature will be aimed at the searching for items in key windows. Invoice number searching for bank feeds is something that not included with that new feature however I would encourage others that would like to see this as a potential feature to vote and comment for Bank - Search/Find invoice numbers easily in the Bank Feeds Screen

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

Hi @Steven_M

Bummer!

I've already voted and contributed to that request.  It's only been 3 years this month since it was suggested.

Alan

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Everyone

Thank you for voting for this idea

I'm pleased to announce with the release of AccountRight 2016.3 comes a new way to search and select items for your Sales, Purchases and Inventory Windows. This allows for the user to search for item number and name, even bring a list up of all items that contain a series of characters in the name/number i.e.

Attachments.PNG

You can find more information into this feature and how to obtain the update on AccountRight 2016.3 now available