Forum Discussion

5 years ago
Solved

Multiple inventory locations

Hi, we are considering moving from Accountright Plus to Premier, primarily to manage an expanding inventory in two locations. We have a warehouse in NSW and Qld. Inventory is stored in both warehouses in numbered bays so it can be easily located; e.g. A3, B4, C1 etc.

I can see how Premier can handle the NSW/Qld physical warehouse locations but can't see how I can identify the numbered bay within each warehouse. The only idea I've been able to come up with is to record the locations in a way that identifies each bay as it's own warehouse, e.g. NA3/QA3, NB4/QB4 etc.

Has anyone had experience with this issue...surely I'm not the first person!

Neil_M
    5 years ago

Hi Tony2820 

Those column headings are hardcoded in the system and cannot currently be changed. This is something I have raised with the relevant team, however at this stage I don’t have a timeframe on when this may be looked into and a potential resolution found.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Neil_M
    Former Staff

Hi Tony2820 

At a very high-level, a “location” in AccountRight is just where the inventory is located. Currently AccountRight does not have the ability to have sub locations within a location, however this may be something that our team consider in the future.

Depending upon your needs this could be very broad or more specific in how you apply the locations to your needs. A very broad application might simply be “Warehouse 1”, “Warehouse 2”, whilst a more detailed application might be “W1-A2-B1-S4” for Warehouse 1 Aisle 2 Bay 1 Shelf 4.

The more specific you set up the locations to be, the more you will need to set up to cover each variation. I recommend taking the time to determine the level of specificity you need when tracking the inventory.

Tony2820
      User

Thanks...I thought that was the case...it's a pity that it's a half-way there function...I would expect that most businesses running inventory would require some level of detail.

My concern in setting up W1-A3 type locations is that this will make the inventory reports way too complicated as we have at least 50 sub-locations in which inventory is stored.

I have thought about using a custom field or custom list to record the sub-location but even this seems a bit clunky. I have tried this using the Clearwater data and changed the name of Custom List 1 to Warehouse Location. Whilst I can add the custom field or custom list to the view items screen, I don't seem to be able to change the text in the column header...it appears as "Custom Field 1", whereas it appears in the item details view as "Warehouse Location". Am I missing something here?

Neil_M
        Former Staff

HI Tony2820 

In testing this in AccountRight 2020.1 using a Clearwater file, changing the field and list names by going to Lists >> Custom Lists & Field Names >> Items The changes flowed through to the different inventory reports as expected.

If you were not seeing that information flow through as expected, I’d be inclined to clear the AccountRight cache. This refreshes a number of things in the background of AccountRight and should be sufficient to get those fields to update, assuming that the correct lists and field names have been updated.