Unable to connect to Payroll Reporting centre

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
PRF
Experienced Cover User
32 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

32Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Unable to connect to Payroll Reporting centre

Hi @Smooth ,

I was wondering what version of Windows Server you are running on your office server?

Regards

Paul

Smooth
Experienced User
18 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

18Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @PRF 

Our office people call it a "Server", but it is actually a standard computer running Windows 10 with configured network.

We use four PC's that all share files (including MYOB company file) from our "Server".

I only have basic IT knowledge - but if you need any more details I can check with our IT person and get back to you.

PRF
Experienced Cover User
32 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

32Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Smooth ,

Thank you for the information.  I appreciate it.

Can I PM you to discuss a few more details?

Thanks

Paul

Smooth
Experienced User
18 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

18Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @PRF 

Yes, you can send me Private Message. I assume you can do this through my MYOB Community user name?

PRF
Experienced Cover User
32 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

32Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

@Smooth,

Don't worry about a PM.  I don't think it's enabled on my account.

Do you know whether your Windows 10 "server" is running AccountRight Server Edition and the individual PC users are accessing the AccountRight datafile via Network Libraries?

Thanks

Paul

Smooth
Experienced User
18 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

18Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

PRF
Experienced Cover User
32 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

32Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Smooth ,

Thank you.

I'm interested to understand what is actually going to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm trying to get my head around which device (PC or server), when running in offline mode with sharing via AccountRight Server Edition, is responsible for communicating with the relevant MYOB servers on the Internet to do the STP tasks.

Another user who posted in another STP thread had a similar environment to you but was running Windows Server 2012R2 instead of Windows 10 as the server.   They updated their workstations to Windows 10 but still could not successfully do the STP tasks.

My initial thought was the server, not the PC, was responsible for setting up the connection to the relevant MYOB servers but it seems it's not that straightforward as your Windows 10 "server" only worked when you upgraded the PCs to Windows 10.

I'm running on a standalone PC running Windows 7 SP1 and have got STP functions to work with AccountRight v2022.8 and v2022.9 by importing the relevant Root Certificate authorities into the Windows certificate store and using a technical workaround which isn't practical for most people to implement.

One possible way I thought people could use older versions of Windows and Windows Server until they can upgrade their environment is to explore the option of SSL Inspection which many of the newer versions of Anti-Virus application software offer.  In a nutshell this means when AccountRight tries to connect to the relevant MYOB server, it would actually be connecting to the Anti-Virus software which then establishes the secure connection to MYOB.  Depending on how the Anti-Virus software implements the secure connection, it may be able to support newer Root Certificates and the ciphers necessary to successfully securely connect to the MYOB servers.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a relevant test environment to check out the various options.

Regards

Paul

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post