Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Banking: Change the Automatic Cheque Numbering

JPH
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

26Posts

541Kudos

0Solutions

26 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia

Remove the automatic cheque numbers for every transaction in spend money and payroll.  Most clients use internet banking & EFT these days, so cheques shouldn't be the default option.  If you write a cheque you should manually enter the cheque number in MYOB.

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: October 2012

Thanks for the feedback. We've taken this on board with our upcoming Bank Feeds function which only uses Cheque number when the source is actually a cheque, otherwise we default to EFT. This should save a lot of typing!

163 Comments
Natty
Contributing Partner
15 Posts
Contributing Partner

I know that several people have posted about default cheque being DD or BPAY, what about if you just add a tick box next to cheque number to keep it same and then can untick when required to use actual cheques?

AlanT
Partner
2,369 Posts
Partner

Yes, I'd like to vote for this solution.

TomOnTuesday
Super Cover User
224 Posts
Super Cover User

So many businesses no longer use cheques or use them extremely rarely. Can we please have an option in Setup to NOT display the Cheque Number field in Spend Money or Pay Bills. If a business only uses EFT and Direct Debits, there is little point showing EFT, DD or BS (bank statement) as the "cheque number" for every transaction. Similarly if you let it default, the numbering starts at 1 and goes on forever. If you don't have cheques, not only is Cheque No. NOT a useful field, it takes time to replace the automatically generated number with something else. Those with cheques, by all means keep using it. For those of us without cheques let us opt out of that field.

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hello Tom,

You are correct that some make life hard for themselves, by changing the field to EFT etc. This means that you have to change the entry in perhaps 99% of transactions that you do.

I always get my clients to ignore the fact that the field name says 'Cheque No" and instead consider that it is a transaction reference number, and just let the number increment as it wants to. When there is an actual physical cheque to be entered then instead of the auto number manually enter CH12345 with 12345 as the actual cheque #. The prefix CH will stop the system from incrementing. In this was you only need to make a change for perhaps 1% of your transactions.

If you do want to have a note that it was EFT or BPay then add tis to the mumo line instead, but actually i would not worry.

The other great benefit in doing this is that each transaction has a different and unique reference #. Would you want all your invoices the have not have a distinctive invoice # and for them all to have "INV" ?

I find it very frustrating when reviewing a client file and trying to find a single transaction when they all have a reference EFT (or BS - bank statement or PAY - payroll payments or BP - Bpay) when there are a number with the same amount or memo etc. It makes it difficult to find the right transaction to review or edit without having to open them all. This is the real time looser!

I usually manually change the first transaction to something like 10001, away from the current cheque series and let the system go from there. Try it - it will save you a lot of time & effort.

Perhaps in a future release MYOB will change the designation of this field from'Cheque No' to something like 'Payment Ref' so that users do not feel the need to always change it, after all I agree that cheques are a dying means of paying others, and the banks are discouraging it.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers

David

ronatbas
Ultimate Partner
4,553 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hi Tom & David

My guess is that there have been requests for this change since Internet banking was introduced back whenever and it has been raised at innumerable meetings with those that can influence the shape of MYOB. One of the big problems is that MYOB needs a number in the cheque field when you import Spend Money/Pay Bills list. It will see the second EFT as a duplicate transaction, irrespective of any other differences in the transaction. The fix for this to concatenate in a number so that it becomes EFT1, EFT2 etc. The unfortunate thing is that the number system will not run with an alphanumeric, as to me this would be the ideal fix.

Ron

MikeToose
0 Posts
Former Staff
Thanks for the great Idea! This could definitely be a time saver. We encourage other users to vote and leave further comments.
TriciaTassell
Partner
26 Posts
Partner

Yes, allowing a default to EFT would be awesome!!!! Please, please implement!

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hello All

Many MYOB make life hard for themselves, by changing the field to EFT etc. This means that you have to change the entry in perhaps 99% of transactions that you do.

I always get my clients to ignore the fact that the field name says 'Cheque No" and instead consider that it is a transaction reference number, and just let the number increment as it wants to. When there is an actual physical cheque to be entered then instead of the auto number manually enter CH12345 with 12345 as the actual cheque #. The prefix CH will stop the system from incrementing. In this way you only need to make a change for perhaps 1% of your transactions.

If you do want to have a note that it was EFT or BPay then add this to the memo line instead, but actually I would not worry. The other great benefit in doing this is that each transaction has a different and unique reference #. Would you want all your invoices the have not have a distinctive invoice # and for them all to have "INV" ? I find it very frustrating when reviewing a client file and trying to find a single transaction when they all have a reference EFT (or BS - bank statement or PAY - payroll payments or BP - Bpay) when there are a number with the same amount or memo etc. It makes it difficult to find the right transaction to review or edit without having to open them all. This is the real time looser! I usually manually change the first transaction to something like 10001, away from the current cheque series and let the system go from there. Try it - it will save you a lot of time & effort. Perhaps in a future release MYOB will change the designation of this field from'Cheque No' to something like 'Payment Ref' so that users do not feel the need to always change it, after all I agree that cheques are a dying means of paying others, and the banks are discouraging it. I hope that this helps. Cheers David  

kindy3
Experienced Cover User
41 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Yes get rid of the cheque numbers.  Allow us to personalise it.

Robyn1202
Experienced User
15 Posts
Experienced User

Payment methods - I would like to be able to set the default payment method for Purchases as something other than cheque. We pay 99% of our bills by EFT and it is really annoying having to delete the cheque number and put in direct credit or what ever term you use ofr EFT.