Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Online Payments: Credit Card Surcharge

Cover User

14Posts

482Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I have looked through posts dating back to 2012 and beyond where people have been requesting the ability to have MYOB automatically calculate and (where applicable) add a surcharge for Credit Card payments.

I have the PayDirect device and need to re-issue an invoice to manually add an extra line for a surcharge to the invoice while the customer is with me.

Now that PayDirect Online has been released, a customer has the ability to pay an invoice with their credit card at their leisure, but I end up being charged for it without the customer even being aware. I have phoned customer service and was informed that there is currently no way of automatically adding the surcharge and the system doesn't do it. I am currenlty on the screen to setup PayDirect Online so have not tested it myself. The advice of customer service was to increase my fees to cover the surcharge. Not really fair on people who are not paying by card.

Personally, I would have thought this is something that should have been written into the software prior to releasing the Online component, or should be an option included in the online section that adds the surcharge to the final total prior to the customer paying.

"Credit Card Surcharge"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: January 2021

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea through the years.

Following on from our early adopter's program, with the release of AccountRight 2020.4 we have introduced the ability for users to pass on credit card surcharge for online invoice payments. Customer surcharging for online payments has more information on this topic and getting started with that.

Once again, thank you for your support and your patience for this long-awaited feature.

232 Comments
Eloise79
4 Posts
Cover User

Agree absolutely, at the moment we could only recoup fees by adding them to future invoices retrospectively not at the time of invoicing and payment.

hm123
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User

We should have an option to pass on these fees. This device is USELESS as it is way too expensive to take payments this way otherwise. I haven't used mine for over a year. Really unhappy and feeling ripped off. 

sains
1 Post
Cover User

we wont use paydirect online until this feature is enabled

Suzi_Byrom
Contributing Cover User
50 Posts
Contributing Cover User

WOW really MYOB ... Please can you explain why this process takes so long to progress?

I can't understand how with 270 Votes this is STILL "Under Consideration" ... with posts dating back to 2012 and beyond. I myself am fairly new to your AccountRight Idea Exchange with my first Vote being made back in June/July last year on this very Idea and I have to say while your Idea Exchange sounds great it's left me feeling very disappointed as you appear to not be interested. I can only hope that we get some value for money in the increase in our Monthly Subscriptions and see this progress promptly through to the "Implemented" stage.

In the mean time I'm not holding my breath for the other couple of Ideas that I have voted on, with the current stats reading as 791 "Under Consideration", 21 "Planned", 2 "In Development" and good luck to the 783 "New Ideas"

Shockwaves
Contributing Cover User
11 Posts
Contributing Cover User

We always strive to deliver the highest levels of service to clients. One way we do this is by not surcharging payments. Clients like using credit cards so penalising them each time they pay with one, is not only annoying but ruins an otherwise great shopping experience.

That is why we are proud to support Surcharge Free, a national movement that aims to inspire more businesses to scrap payment surcharges for good. You can learn more about it by visiting www.surchargefree.com.au

AlstSteel
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Totally agree. Small businesses are using on-line accounting package for a quick turnaround payment, however, still having to pay for the convience, where the customer should pay for that convience. I understand that it illegal to charge any more than what the merchant bank charges us, so when this feature is included in the future updates of MYOB both on-line & PC based, the option to select the percentage is needed. ie ours is 1.63% merchant fee.

DannyH
1 Post
Cover User

Definitely needs to be added. Other payment systems support this function already and have done so for a while now. Makes no sense that MYOB can't do this too!

nida
1 Post
User

I was really interested in using this service until I found out it will not allow credit card surcharges to be added. This means I will either have to manually add it for each invoice and it will make things really messy and time consuming. I am looking into other Software programs that have this feature because I know that many of them do. I can't understand why MYOB is so behind on something so simple.

RoyalAquatics
4 Posts
Cover User

I've recently used PayDirect and for a $800 credit card payment was charged $17.85.

Quite hefty if we can't oncharge this to our customers if they want to use a credit card.

Was looking for the option to set it up but realised after readying online it's not been implemented.

Please put more focus on this as it is a great feature but costs too much if we can't on-charge.

Sebastien
1 Post
User

So I use myob for my sole trader business and I use Xero for a number of other business

xero, with strip payment processing, is the same solution as Myobs offering

i get charged 2% of the payment amount.  And I can add the fee to the clients invoice

Myob saying they can't do this is ridiculous as they sell themselves as a software business

im mid way through moving my sole trader business to Xero now too. Myob is falling so far it's just not worth this type of frustration