Interest received from Inland Revenue on GST Refund

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
MegC
3 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Interest received from Inland Revenue on GST Refund

I have received a GST refund from Inland Revenue, which includes interest over and above the return amount, for paying early.  My problem is not with the original GST entry but when I enter the journal entry to clear GST collected and GST paid accounts for the return.  I enter the GST collected amount, the GST Paid amount and then the GST Payments/Refunds amount (which is what I actually received).  I am obviously left with the small amount of interest paid by IRD which needs a Credit transaction to balance the entry. 

My best thought is to enter a Credit to GST Payments & Refunds and memo it Interest Paid by IRD.

Would welcome any suggestions on how others have dealt with this?

3 REPLIES 3
Murray_McKenzie
Ultimate Partner
545 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

545Posts

116Kudos

102Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Interest received from Inland Revenue on GST Refund

Hi Meg

Your interet should be credited to an income account - generally in the 8-xxxx, Other Income section, and specifically called Interest Received. If you put it to a GST account it will wrongly sit in the balance section when it is an income to the business.

Hope this helps

Murray McKenzie
B.Com
IRD Registered Tax Agent
Boots 'n All Ltd
MegC
3 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you very much.  I have set up an 8-XXXX for Interest Received IRD.  I already have Interest Received accounts for the various bank accounts so this makes perfect sense.  Thanks again.

MegC
3 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

3Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Oh ... should I also have entered the interest received separately on my original entry when I recorded the payment from Inland Revenue?  

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post