Forum Discussion

Riversea
Contributing User
15 days ago

Subscription expired, creased trading, off line back up required

Hello Community

How can I create an off line back of the data, that I can keep for another 4 years,  to rely upon in case of an ATO query or audit?

Background-

I have used a MYOB file, via subscription through my accountant, for many years as a sole trader. 

I ceased trading July 2023 and subsequently left that accounting firm and now use another. The tax returns/BAS reporting were completed for the last trading period.

I can still log into my MYOB Essentials file with Read Only status.

In anticipation, many thanks.

Peter

6 Replies

Riversea
    Contributing User

Thanks Gavin.

I'll phone Support and sort something out.

mal_chaney
      Experienced User

Can you let me know if you got a solution? I have the same issue.

Riversea
        Contributing User

Hi Gavin

I've come to a reconciliation with the problem but not a satisfactory solution. 

After another call to my accountant that 2 to MYOB support my situation is this. 

MYOB Pro, which superseded Essentials, can't be downloaded at all, but can't be upgraded to Account Right. Account Right has an Working Off Line facility,  so maintaining an off line file isn't an issue.

After Pro subscription expires there is a 90 fee file access period . After that the file is plainly retained for a period that wasn't defined. 

As my subscription was just over 90 days expired,  I simply renewed my subscription.

I choose to do it direct, without going through my accountant.. I was perplexed to be paying $58 monthly . I'm not sure but that seems a lot more than I was paying when I was going through my accountant. 

In conclusion I can't understand how MYOB can see that never downloading the data from Pro is an option . Surely Pro users are smaller businesses which are likely to close at some point. 

What is the logic of that?

Good luck Gavin 

Peter

Riversea
    Contributing User

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't address my biggest concern.

I have adopted the new methodology of attaching digital copies of the invoices,etc, to the bank transaction that paid for that expense. What I mean is I have no physical copies of expenses, only the digital ones stored in my MYOB file. If I am required to substantiate an expense I will have nothing without those digital invoices. 

May I infer from what your saying, that if I want those digital invoices to be accessible for another 4 years, I will need pay for a MYOB subscription for those years?

Thanks

Peter

gavin12345
      Ultimate User

Hi Riversea 

This is where some online accounting comes unstuck! If you are using Essentials, this is online only, so there is no file for you to backup - your only option is to print off reports and export whatever data you can.

Within a few months of subscription ending, MYOB delete the online data and it can no longer be accessed. 

With attached receipts, these are stored separately on MYOB's servers, and you will need to download copies to your own computer. With AccountRight same applies. These are not included in a backup. MYOB can provide AR users a 'dump' of all online attachments, they may be able to do the same thing for Essentials users.

Regards

Gavin

• Hi Riversea - thanks for your question.

I'd suggest logging into your MYOB Essentials file and downloading reports for whatever data you want to retain.

I hope this helps.

Adrian