Forum Discussion

JoB913
Contributing User
12 days ago

Taxable Payments Report Error

My accountant is trying to lodge the Taxable Payments Report and keeps getting an error Line 43. Please contact your software developer. The file contains an illegal character at end of last record.

What does this mean and how do we find line 43?

4 Replies

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi JoB913,

This is normally caused by an invalid character somewhere in the empdupe file. Most likely copied and pasted from an external source into the address or company name fields. Pay particular attention to the address in your list (line 35).

I would be taking a copy of that TPAR file and then opening it in NotePad (or NotePad++) and going through the document to see if you do have any unusual characters, i.e., carriage returns or addition symbols. Based on the error report, it would be line 35 (so around the 35 card).

Once that character has been edited, you would be able to delete or change that in your AccountRight file and recreate that TPAR file lodgement.

Best regards,

Doreen

JoB913
    Contributing User

Hi Doreen

Thanks for your reply. I can't download NotePad ++. It keeps giving the error message below

Any ideas?

JoB913
    Contributing User

ATO is also saying refer to software developer?

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi there JoB913,

Regarding the error message you received, I would suggest reaching out to your IT person for more information. Once you have Notepad++ which is available in Software Centre (just type the words Software center into the Windows Start menu) and the recommended setup step: Go to View, Show Symbols, select Show all characters. In addition, follow the steps below:

• Open the EMPDUPE file in notepad ++
    • From the Search menu choose Find Characters in Range
    • Select Non-ASCII Characters and click Find. Notepad ++ will then display where the invalid character is.
    • Click on the top of notepad ++ application and the cursor will flash just after the invalid character. In the example below the invalid character is a SPACE. 
    • Repeat until all invalid characters are removed.
    • Once done, fix the data in the AccountRight or Essentials software and recreate the EMPDUPE file.

Best regards,

Doreen