Forum Discussion

SDuddy
Experienced User
3 days ago

Customer Not Found Import Error

We are trying to import item sales into our MYOB file.  Even though we have told the import to match on card number, past experience has shown that the customer name in the software that is creating the import file has to EXACTLY match what is entered in MYOB or the transaction will reject with a 190 error, customer not found.

We have a new customer and last week when we tried to import item sales we got a customer not found error. Since it was a one line sale, we manually raised this entry and I copied and pasted the customer name from MYOB to the external source so that I could be sure they were the same for future imports (as this is a weekly process).  We verified that the customer number is the same in both systems.

We got the error again this morning trying to import, for the same customer.  As an experiment I tried deleting spaces from the name in the import file and in the MYOB card file, and re-ran the import. This did not fix the issue.  There is another customer that has a very similar name but I cannot see why this would be a problem as we have multiple customers that have very similar business names (all starting with the same word) and they import with no problem.

I am lost as to what could be causing this issue or how to fix it.  It has been fortunate so far that they have only been invoices with minimal transactions and it was viable to manually enter, but as the customer is new and their usage increases this will not always be the case.  We had roughtly 100 invoices for other customers that all imported with no problems.

• Hi SDuddy 

When importing, if you have a unique field (such as CardID or RecordID), always use that field and that one only. The important thing is to ensure the 'other' identifying fields such as company name are not matched. You only need one matching field to identify the customer, name is not reliable as it is not always unique. For example Smith and smith are both allowed but may confuse MYOB. If MYOB gets confused it rejects. With some versions if you have both a Customer and a Supplier named Smith, this confuses MYOB and it rejects.

Regards

Gavin

SDuddy
      Experienced User

When we set up the import and we get to the format screen we are using the match on Card ID setting.

When I get to the next screen and you have to match fields I am just clicking on match all. 

Are you saying that we should leave the Co/Last Name field unmatched at this point?