Forum Discussion

HangedUpOnMe
Experienced Cover User
3 years ago
Solved

Average cost is wrong

I noticed MYOB giving me an incorrect average cost for an item.

The item had a recent shipment of 854pcs at $19.97

There are now only 754pcs left in stock, but the average price is showing $16.50!

There was 1759 pcs in stock at the time that last purchase was entered, and that older stock came at about $13.50

But now there is only 754pcs left in stock it should not be taking into account that older stock, or is it? If so, how do we fix this problem?

• Hi HangedUpOnMe , After the purchase of 854 items, there were 2613 items in stock at a total cost of $40800.88, or $15.61 each. Subsequent sales would have used that as the cost of sale, so your latest average cost figure is consistent with that. AccountRight does not apply FIFO costing. 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Mike_James
    Ultimate Partner

Hi HangedUpOnMe , After the purchase of 854 items, there were 2613 items in stock at a total cost of $40800.88, or $15.61 each. Subsequent sales would have used that as the cost of sale, so your latest average cost figure is consistent with that. AccountRight does not apply FIFO costing. 

HangedUpOnMe
      Experienced Cover User

Thanks for thw reply

Yeah, it is as i thought.

It works well when there are only small changes in purchase price, but this year there have been MASSIVE and rapid increases in purchase prices, then this system doesnt work so well under these circumstances, but it is what it is.