Forum Discussion

MichelleS3
Contributing User
3 years ago

I know how to backorder an "Item" Layout PO/Invoice but how do I backorder a "Service" layout Purchase Order when converting to an Invoice?

I know how to backorder an "Item" Layout PO/Invoice but how do I backorder a "Service" layout Purchase Order when converting to an Invoice?

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi MichelleS3 

Thanks for your post. You can only backorder items that you have in your Inventory list and that have I Inventory This Item ticked. This is because you are tracking the quantity and values of those items.

When you try to record an item sale invoice for an item that you don't have enough stock on hand to fill the sale, the software will prompt you to build, buy or backorder the item. When you purchase items if not all are received you can enter the shortfall in the backorder column to automatically record a purchase order for the amount not supplied on the invoice.

The Service layout is used for services provided or non-item sales, for example, utility bills, accountants fees etc. As you're not recording the purchase of an inventory item there's no quantity received or backordered to enter. 

Please let me know if I've misunderstood your question or if you need further help with this.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

MichelleS3
      Contributing User

Thanks for the update. We use service layout and sometimes a supplier will supply one line of the order on one invoice and the second line on another invoice. How can we split the purchase order? Thanks 

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi MichelleS3 

If you want to use the service layout when you click on Change to bill and the invoice opens you would need to manually remove the line not supplied. You would then need to enter a separate invoice for the second line. 

Your other option would be to use items, you can create service items. This help article, Creating items, has detailed information that may be useful.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.