Forum Discussion

tim10
User
5 years ago
Solved

Inventory

Up until now we have not inventoried our stock items. Given the growth in our business it is now imperative we do this. When I tick "I inventory this item' it will not allow me as there are already sales & purchases for these items in the system. I understand why this is this case, however there must be someway we can get around this. Renaming all our parts is not an option. I have called the MYOB Help Desk and they have basically told me there is nothing we can do. not the answer I was looking for! This would mean implementing an entire new Accounting system which is not ideal. However if we cannot find a solution we will have no choice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Hi tim10 

Basically you have 3 options (maybe more):

• Start a new file and set up Items with 'I Inventory'.
    • Make a backup or work on a copy of your file in case things go wrong. Export your Items. Manually renumber all existing items by placing a z in front of each ItemNumber and set as inactive. Change the setting in the export file to add 'I Inventory' and the relevant account etc. Import these as new items. You will end up with twice the number of Items, however the new items will have the same ItemNumber you originally used. You will retain all history of these items as well. If you have a large number of Items to re-number, there is a 3rd party that does this in bulk within a few hours. 
    • Get the 3rd party to delete all your items in bulk and re-import with the correct settings. The advantage of this approach is you don't end up with twice the number of Items. However you would lose some of the Item related history.

Send me a private message if you would like contact details of the 3rd party that provides this service.

Regards

Gavin

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    GDay53
    Ultimate Partner

tim10 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

Because you are not using inventory there will be no ouantities or on hand value against any of you items.

You will need to do a stocktake and have quantities of all items on hand.

What you need to do is use the Import / Export function and export your complete stocklist to excel.

Then change the Item numbers by adding either a number or a letter to the start or end of every number.

This will in effect create a copy of all your items with new item numbers.

You will also need to add in the current quantities on hand.

Then Import back to MYOB.

You will also need to do another export and check that all your existing items have zero quantities and a zero $ value. As well as marking them inactive. Then import back to MYOB.

If you are not sure how to use the Import /Export function have a read of the following MYOB SUPPORT NOTES.

Importing and Exporting Data

Importing and Exporting Tips

Bulk Update Item Prices

• Hi tim10 

Basically you have 3 options (maybe more):

• Start a new file and set up Items with 'I Inventory'.
    • Make a backup or work on a copy of your file in case things go wrong. Export your Items. Manually renumber all existing items by placing a z in front of each ItemNumber and set as inactive. Change the setting in the export file to add 'I Inventory' and the relevant account etc. Import these as new items. You will end up with twice the number of Items, however the new items will have the same ItemNumber you originally used. You will retain all history of these items as well. If you have a large number of Items to re-number, there is a 3rd party that does this in bulk within a few hours. 
    • Get the 3rd party to delete all your items in bulk and re-import with the correct settings. The advantage of this approach is you don't end up with twice the number of Items. However you would lose some of the Item related history.

Send me a private message if you would like contact details of the 3rd party that provides this service.

Regards

Gavin

tim10
      User

Thank you Gavin for your guidance & recommending FGH Tables. Michael was extremely helpful & helped us achieve our goal. We are now able to Inventory all our items. I had very little experience with uploading files so Michael did the lot for me. Highly recommended and very grateful!

jelliebaby
        Contributing User

Hi Tim,

Can I ask, did it cost anything for the 3rd party to do this process as we are in a similar boat.

Thanks